VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

My parking brake fault button on dash keeps appearing and…

Customer Question
My parking brake fault...

My parking brake fault button on dash keeps appearing and it’s like it doesn’t want to change gears I have a 2007 VW Passat wagon2.0 turbo

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

I have no idea how old transmission my car has 131,339 miles what brake switch?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?

Googling

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: VW
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/22/2018
VW Mechanic: VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner replied 3 months ago
VWDoc
VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner

Hello there. Sorry for the delay. So, there are a couple of ways to go about this.

1) The proper diagnostic method. You will need a VW-specific scan tool such as VCDS to interrogate the EPB (electronic parking brake) control module for faults. Most good Euro independent shops will have this scan tool. A regular OBD-2 diagnostic tool will not communicate with this module.

2) A very educated guess based on my experience with these cars. I've replaced a bunch of parking brake switches on these. Pretty common failure item. The part number is ***** 927 225C REH, and it retails for $63 at the dealer. If you want to try this before spending money on diagnostic work, there's a good probability that it will fix the problem.

Please let me know if I can offer further information