VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Alternator died. Replaced it with a rebuilt alternator that…

Customer Question
Alternator died. Replaced it...

Alternator died. Replaced it with a rebuilt alternator that has passed the working tests. Installed new alternator, charged the battery, The car runs for a little while, then fails. Checking the battery, there is no charge. It appears the new alternator is not charging the battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

Do not see any leaking liquids, nor does it smell like sulfur.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

2003 Jetta, 2.0 liter non turbo

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Turbo?

It is not a turbo

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?

So, it is not a turbo. and yes, I am fixing it myself.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: VW
3/21/2018
VW Mechanic: VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner replied 4 months ago
VWDoc
VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner

Ok, so there are a couple of common causes of this. Often, the alternator wiring harness breaks down internally, gets quite hot, and also starts cooking the plastic fuse panel on top of the battery.

If you have the vehicle running, have a multimeter in volts mode. Check voltage across the battery terminals, and record it. Then move the positive probe to the large lug on the back of the alternator. If you see at least a 0.10v difference voltage drop, you have a bad harness. I recommend replacing it and the battery fuse box at the same time. Harnesses are different among the various MKiv cars, so best to call the dealer with your VIN for a part number.