VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Vibration from right side and feel it in the gear selector.

Vibration from right side...

Vibration from right side and feel it in the gear selector. I understand from many reviews its the center support bearing

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?

No leaks, but 164k. i only drive it about 12 miles home at low speeds and didn't hear it so could it only be the support and not the bearing?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 VW?

No its the 2005 V8

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

It just started and i would like to do it myself...if its not the bearing....

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I got under the vehicle and the front shaft was solid, the rear didn't have any movement either, so I'm wondering if i caught in time that it could be just the support and if i replace the support and repack & grease the bearing if there is anything else to look for?

3/21/2018
VWDoc
VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner

Just so I'm clear, could you post the vehicle information please? I'm assuming Touareg?

2005 VW Touareg, 4.2 V8

Ok, so in most cases where there is center support failure, you'll get a vibration upon acceleration that feels like it's right under the shifter, and you'll feel it through the seat. Usually, we have to replace the driveshaft as a unit, since the center support is almost impossible to replace without some seriously specialized tools.

However, there are a few companies out there who offer a support repair kit, and they work quite well, and don't require removing the entire propshaft.

Here is a good video outlining the procedure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-67Z3JmMC3E

And the pictures here are much better than my own:

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f73/replace-your-failing-bearing-support-191458.html

Please let me know if I can offer further information

VWDoc
VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner