VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Sunroof pops up while driving do to wind, what causes this?

Customer Question
Sunroof pops up while...

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

The sunroof comes open by hte wind

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2000 vw jetta

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am but have not tried anything yet

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: VW
3/20/2018
VW Mechanic: peterpete190, Technician replied 3 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Are you able to also push open the sun roof by hand easily?

Does it operate properly with the switch/control to open and close or does it make any noises when opening or closing it?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

It does operate properly and I can push it with my hand

O.k.,this indicates the track is broken to where the cable is not holding the sun roof in place.I have seen this occur before unfortunately and the head liner has to be removed to then remove the complete track assembly to then inspect it to see if it can be repaired or if it needs replaced.In most cases it has to be replaced to resolve this fault as most of the track parts are non serviceable and have to be replaced as a complete assembly.

This wont be a motor issue as the roof would still hold in place.Unfortunately this is a track fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Thanks Pete. I will look at the track

Your welcome

Thanks Pete