VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I own a 1995 VW Rialta 5 cylinder. Last summer after I had…

Customer Question
I own a 1995...

I own a 1995 VW Rialta 5 cylinder. Last summer after I had it serviced by my trusted VW mechanic the following issue started occurring. It will drive fine, but when I start going up a "steep" hill, especially on a highway at higher speed, the engine will just shut off. If I put it in neutral and start it again it will usually start up even when still moving, but would like to get this fixed. My mechanic has checked the fuel pump and the air intake, but it is still happening. Any thoughts?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?

It is the original fuel pump

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '95 VW?

Not sure. It is th eMH body type MH

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Se above see above Mechanic is working on it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: VW
Answered in 1 day by:
3/21/2018
VW Mechanic: gomi_otaku, VW Technician replied 3 months ago
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Does it always restart ok?
it actually starts and runs super smooth other then this issue.

Has the mechanic tried scanning for fault codes? Its a fairly primitive system at that age, but still will record sensor faults, misfires, etc. When it shuts off, is it just that the engine dies and you feel the lag? And the oil light may begin flashing? I'm assuming you have an automatic transmission, any other issues in the cluster like the gear display or does the clock reset as if the power was disconnected and reconnected?

Mechanic has not scanned for fault codes as he does not have the computer to do so. I am now in the process of finding a mechanic who has the computer to check for fault codes.
When the engine shuts off there is no lag. It is basically like a switch which turns off. So you drive the car and suddenly out of nowhere it loses all engine power. It does only happen when I push the gas pedal. I can't remember the oil light flashing nor clock resetting or anything. But will double check next time I drive her.