VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

17748/P1340/004928 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) / Engine…

17748/P1340/004928 - Camshaft Position...

17748/P1340/004928 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) / Engine Speed Sensor (G28): Incor. Correlation

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the sensor have a wire-wrapped magnet? If so, have you checked it with an ohmmeter?

Ive replaced it and checked it yes pin 1 to pin 3 messeaures 4.82V

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

2001 vw passat b5.5

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and ive checked timing both on belt and cams seems on point the car runs perfect i cleaned the sensor connector inspected the wiring and have replaced only the cam sensor i was thinking of chnaging the crank postion snesor next

3/18/2018
Mike Rodgers
Mike Rodgers, VW Technician

I assume this is a 1.8 engine? Did this code pop up out of nowhere or was any work done prior to this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1.8T passat b5.5 175k and yes this code did come out of nowhere the only work i had done was i had to fit my hands down under the manifold to replace the crankcase bretaher hosei also have just went stage1+ but i dont think that is the issue
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ive inspected the timing belt and the timing chian the timing chain does have 16 roller links between the two cam but i have to re do it to verify and as well ive inspected my timing belt for the matchingmarks and everything seems to line up the car runs great
the only thing i havent checked is the crank postion sensor and or swapping out the cam chain and the tensioer but it seems the tensioer is worth 700 dollars for a genuine part

First of all, don't waste your money on a new crank sensor. If the crank sensor was bad, the vehicle would not start. The next thing to check is the timing belt tension/tensioner. Make sure the belt is not loose and look at the hydraulic timing belt tensioner, not the roller and see if it is leaking. The timing marks may very well line up, but that doesn't mean while the engine is running they are on point. Does the car make a rattle at first/cold start up? The timing chain tensioner relies on good oil pressure, if the pick up tube is plugged up, which is very common, this could be the issue.

I've seen plenty of those timing chain adjusters go bad, especially at that mileage. Never seen a chain go bad.

Mike Rodgers
Mike Rodgers, VW Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will try and inspect for the leaking tensioner as i do have to use the car for work but i dont believe that i hear a rattle persay on initial cold start up.when i replaced the crankcase breather hose a little bit of debris plastic fell into the crankcase i immediately did an oil change and i haven't gotten any codes for oil pressure issues...... the timing chain adjuster is the Cam Chain Tensioer correct? i agree about the chain not being strecthed but i would change it as to help limit failure in future if i do change the CCT
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it all right if the belt as a little slack in it? if i can describe it enough if your looking at the timing belt with the cover off i can oush down a little on the belt when it dives back down to the tensioner it has a little bit of play maybe 1/2 inch
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the timing belt and everything was service at 150k as claimed by the garage i bought it from but no paperwork and i am at 175k seems a little pre mature to have stuff failing only in 25k miles

Yes the chain tensioner and cam chain adjuster are the same thing. Nothing should fail after 25k miles, but if aftermarket parts were used, all that logic goes out the window. That being said, 1/2" of belt deflection should be fine. You won't get codes for oil pressure. The oil pathway to the chain tensioner/cam adjuster can get plugged as well. If you do hear a rattle at start up, that sound 99% of the time (especially with these codes) is the chain tensioner rattling, which would indicate a plugged pick up tube and possibly even damage to the adjuster itself due to lack of oil pressure. I know that oil pan is not easy to get off, but that may be your next step. The only other thing I would recommend is having someone with a advanced enough scanner (most likely the dealer) run the test for that cam adjuster.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I HAve Vagcom and used Measuring block 091 for the cam adjustment could you tell me the correct degrees it should read
At idle is was flickering between 19-20 then while driving it was at 0 or -1
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know I can use measuring blocks 208 and 209 to check timing but can’t find the specs in my Bentley manual
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
pretty much it’s change the CCT or the oil pick up screen is clogged from the plastic the code light came on pretty much after changing the crankcase breather hose I didn’t haven the code reader on me for 2 weeks before I was able to read and get this code

Reading that makes me lean even more to the pick up tube being plugged. It doesn't take much debris to plug one up. If you vagcom is capable or doing basic settings it will be number 93 or 91. The value block you are looking at is referring to the spark angle advance/retard. check block 93

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can lower just the front of the subframe to wiggle to oil pan out so I don’t have to align subframe correct? Also it is safe to say I haven’t had any mechanical codes for over a year and the crankcase is the only repair I’ve done since this code I tried my best to remove all the pieces but Ik a little bit fell in..... was hoping get crushed by crank
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you know the correct values for those tables... by chance
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Full Vagcom Verizon 15.7.1 a little bit late Verizon but it’s full license

You should see values no greater than 5 degrees apart. Yes you can lower the subframe, but you'll need a way to support the engine because you'll need to loosen the motor mounts.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Answering back to your checking in email I ordered a kit to replace the CCT but sadly it’s not coming this weekend due to impending snow storm instead I’m yhinking of dropping subframe this weekend and swapping out pickup tube and re- seal the pan lots of work but will also be renting a hoist to hold the motor up ��
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did rate you 5 stars no more questions from me thanks for your help
Mike Rodgers
Mike Rodgers
Mike Rodgers, VW Technician