VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I thot i was going to be chatting with a vw mechanic

Customer Question
i thot i was going to be chatting with a vw mechanic
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: VW
3/18/2018
VW Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 4 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

my name is ***** ***** I'm going to try and help you with your issue, so whats the problem?

I already typed all the details to the mechanics assistant and they sent me to charge $5 deposit. am i in the right place?

I suspect that you may have opened 2 questions, I've only seen this one as its more recent though

is there an electrical issue with your bug?

hello

hello

can you tell me how many miles are on the car, if you have a fault light on? and if any parts have already been replaced?

99k, no default lights are on in the instrument cluster. i've tested the feeds to the ignition switch and i get my 12 volt there. the starter turns over. I do get the battery light at the instrument cluster but that is all. I do get a vlotage at the computer on one wire when testing
no
hello? no i don't want to switch to a live call

Ok

if the engine is turning over then its not the security system as that would be disabled

this sounds like the ECM isn't getting any power or not enough power?

So I'd begin by checking the state of the engine ground connections for cleanliness and tightness

as well as the large wires there should also be a smaller ground wire that runs out of the engine bay loom and is secured to the engine

its this that is the ECM specific ground

also pull the ECM fuses and check each for corrosion or cracks if this is OK check that the ECM relay is clicking in when you switch on the ignition

which fuses are the ecm fuses. I don't have a wiring diagram but I have checked or replaced all the fuses in the engine bay next to the battery and also inside the car.
where exactly is this ground for the ecm? the car was running fine until it rained hard one day
i am getting 12 volts at the ecm connector. with my tester light and also my volt tester
VW Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 4 months ago
eric remington

o​k all I know is that it rained and after the flood the engine will not crank or cranks but will not fire?

VW Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 4 months ago

so I'm here to help have much experience all makes and models incl vw