VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I have a 2002 WV beetle and the driver side window stopped…

I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 WV beetle and the driver side window stopped working all of a sudden

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?

It is at my wifes work. We have not tried anything except turning on car and trying switch. Does this have a fuse possibly to check?

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

I know where 1 is?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Vehicle has been running ok .

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/15/2018
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
There's only one fuse panel on this vehicle and all the windows are controlled by the Comfort module so if the other ones are working then that's not the problem. Is the window stuck up or down? Try putting the key in the driver's door and if the windows up turn the key to the unlocked position and hold it there and see if that window rolls down, if it does then the switch in the door is broken.Also pull the rubber boot between the door and the body back and see if there's broken wires between the door and the body.If I have answered your question your satisfaction please remember to hit accept as that is the only way the site compensates me for my time.If you have follow-up questions please don't hesitate to ask you'll be able to ask me any follow-up questions even after hitting accept.
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, We tried the other window and it works ok. The key did let the driver window down ,but will not go up. You can hear the motor inside the door working . I can not pull it up either . Is this tthe switch then?
it's down but won't go back up now? Then the motor isn't faulty, it should go back up. This means that more than likely you have broken wires between the door and the body, did you pull the rubber boot back between the two and check the wiring like I asked?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I have not yet. The car is in route home now. I will look at that next then.
If you really actually do hear the window motor working then the regulator has probably failed.Generally when the regulator fails the window just falls into the door, the regulator cables I might be all wrapped up in the regulator there's actually a regulator repair kit you can get where you just replace the cables in the regulator and that's the cheapest way to do it you probably going to want to pull the door panel off, the panel is actually very easy to pull you pry the plastic off where the door pulls shut and there's two screws back in there and then down at the bottom of the door panel there are three screws at the very bottom and there might be one at the front of the panel up by the mirror take those out and then pull on the panel and it pops off.That will give you access to the metal panel that the regulator is bolted to, and there's a couple rubber plugs at the top that you pop out and you can look into the door and see the regulator see if the cables are all wound up.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, sounds like a little more time involved then
Yeah it takes a couple hours to replace the regulator cables and some special tools...well not totally special but Torx bits and a bit called triple square, which most people don't already own but can be found at auto parts store a, you have to remove the door handle in the door latch as well. It's doable but not totally easy.Let's hope for broken wires between the door and the body.
Danny
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic