VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

2004 Jetta 1.8 Turbo VLI -- Two engine codes. P0011 and

Customer Question
p0030. Idling rough, like a...
2004 Jetta 1.8 Turbo VLI -- Two engine codes. P0011 and p0030. Idling rough, like a misfire, but apparently not a misfire. Please help diagnose issues. Don't know anything about the p0011, and I've tried to test the upstream o2 sensor for battery voltage, and I'm only getting about between 2.5 and 3.5 volts... but I don't know if I'm doing it right. I place the red lead from my multimeter in each of the pin slots, and then my black lead against the heat shield of the catalytic converter. Some pin slots read in the millivolts, and others read in the range I just mentioned. Nothing reads battery voltage, unless I'm doing it wrong. Wires look fine on the connectors. Help me through necessary tests to properly diagnose both codes. Thank you.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: VW
3/15/2018
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 4 months ago
kyle swart

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for using just answer. I would start with the p0011 first, as it relates to camshaft timing. I recommend you check the cam to crank timing with the marks, as well as the condition of the timing belt.. If thats ok, I then reccomend checking the marks between the camshafts, by removing the valve cover.

Kyle S.
A.S.E. certified master auto technician
licensed smog technician, test and repair, L-1 advanced engine performance certified
Certified Volkswagen technician, 2003,2004,2013,2014,2015
Volkswagen and Audi independent 12 years

Okay, I will start there. Could you send me instructions for how to do those things, please?
You there?
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 4 months ago

The upper part of the picture is the cam sprocket, you must remove the upper timing shield on the passenger side of the engine. The lower part is an image of the harmonic balancer, which is on the bottom. When you have the upper timing cover off, this is also a good time to inspect the belt condition. These engines are known for premature timing belt failure due to a failure in the tensioner, thanks.

Thanks, ***** ***** give me the step-by-step instructions for how to check that, please? What I should do and what I should be looking for?
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 4 months ago

I just did. I am going to opt out and let others assist you, thank you.

VW Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 4 months ago
eric remington

Hello how may I best assist you today?

VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 3 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Welcome, I'm Wolfgang, Master VW Tech.

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.
  1. Stephen you do have something to do with timing .
  2. The upper timing cover needs to be removed and the rf wheel removed with the side shield.
  3. you need to set the timing up like the pics attached especially at the crankshaft to reference the cam to see if the timing is out.
  4. now did the timing belt break or was changed recently?

thanks

I'll check. Don't think the timing belt has ever been changed.
Is this an interference or non-interference engine?

interference big time!!!

if the belt is spot on then the valve cover needs to be removed . let me know when the cover is removed for the next step

Will do. My brother in law has the car for a another week out of town, so I'll shave c to wait until then to do the check, if it doesn't blow up in the meantime. Don't worry, I always rate people, and I will you when this is done. Thx.
You know, please forgive my ignorance here, but is there like a step-by-step process you can give me for exactly how to test or adjust the timing? I know I've got the picture that shows the things lined up, but I don't know exactly how to get to that point, or make any adjustments if it's not lined up, Etc.

give me a bit on this!!