VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Rough idle. Consistent. 1999 beetle. Tried MAF sensor

Consistent Mechanic's Assistant: What...

Consistent

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

1999 beetle

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes tried MAF sensor yesterday

3/15/2018
VWDoc
VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner

And is there, or has there been a check engine light accompanying this?

Also, 1.8 turbo gas, 1.9 turbo diesel, or 2.0 non-turbo gas?

a check engine light and the engine is a 2.0

Ok, and do you have a list of fault codes in either VAG 5-digit format or Pxxxx format?

no sorry
2.0 non turbo gas

Ok, so please understand that I can only base my answers off of my experience with these, rather than information and evidence. There are literally thousands of different fault codes, and a hundred or so possible reasons an engine can run rough, so I am going to give you a broad brush answer.

1) If the engine light flashes or has flashed, rather than stayed steady, then you will probably need an ignition coil. a set of spark plug wires or both. The plastic body of the ignition coil cracks on these and spark escapes to ground rather than to the spark plug.

2) Engine light not flashing: Intake leak due to a faulty PCV or other vacuum hose broken

3) Worn spark plugs

4) partially clogged fuel filter.

5) Incorrect engine timing due to work timing belt or belt components.

However, if you can get a scan to me, I can narrow this down a bit.

what about a brake booster check valve?

The booster check valve could fail, but it's still a sealed system, and wouldn't cause a false air leak, and resultant P0171 fault.

ok maybe its the coil pack I'm leaning more toward that

Good test for the ignition coil:

Mix up a spray bottle of lightly salted water. Have the car running at night, hood open, and lightly mist the coil, and look for obvious sparks and worse running characteristics.

ok I will try that later but I'm guessing that this is nit though
it

Ok sounds good. I will still advise having a scan done though, as shotgunning parts at a problem is often more expensive than diagnosis.

thanks for the advice will come back if I cant solve this later

sounds good

VWDoc
VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner