VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Problems with windows not going down at all, and speedometer…

Problems with windows not...

Problems with windows not going down at all , and speedometer is not working

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

Vw beetle 2004 convertible

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?

Transmition speed sensor change , ecm and tcm were check all working but after getting them back on i have the issue with the powerwindow

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No really, they told me at module experts that it maybe the bcm or ccm that are bad

I take out the batery and now windows are stock half way down
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/14/2018
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Remove the negative battery cable and touch it and the positive battery cable together for about 20 minutes.This is called a capacitive discharge and resets control modules by draining the capacitors in them. Sometimes when the battery dies or the vehicle has low voltage, the control modules didn't shut down properly, and when you restore voltage they will no longer communicate or function properly.Also, check your fuses on the driver side of the dashboard while you're doing the capacitive discharge.
Did not work. I check all the fuses and are good. Any other thing to do please help
Try putting the ignition key into the driver's door turning into lock position and holding it there, that should force the windows to roll up.The windows are controlled by the Comfort module, other things that are controlled by the comfort module would be power door locks, the fuel door release and the trunk release. Are those things all functioning properly?.
Beeper its not working for unlock or lock the car or the trunk button. Also speedometer is not working.
Is the top registering as being all the way closed? Try holding the top button in the close position longer and see if maybe the rear flaps aren't all the way in position yet. Maybe try putting the top back down and then up again.It is true that the comfort module is looking like it might be faulty, definitely check all fuses on the driver side of the dashboard.Luckily the comfort module is cheap, you can buy a replacement from www.car-part.comIn reality at this point you need the VCDS scan tool from ross-tech.com to talk to the comfort module, scan faults and retrieve the original coding from the module so if you can't fix the issue, when you replace it, you can code the new one.The comfort module is up under the steering column behind the trim under the steering column like where your knees sit. If SOME of the comfort functions work like the power door locks and or the fuel door, then the module is faulty.Now, if the radio also doesn't function, then possibly the ignition switch is faulty and the load reduction circuit isn't operational. Other things on the load reduction circuit are the headlights, wipers, and seat heaters. If those function, the load reduction circuit isn't the issue then.
in terms of the speedometer not working its related or another thing??
On modern
In modern vehicles often the wheel speed sensor is used and if not that then on automatics it's built into the trans and then passed via the can bus to the instrument cluster and engine computer.I don't recall whether or not the instrument cluster is on the load reduction circuit but it could be and so if it's ignition switch that could be the cause.On top of that a faulty control module will often jam the can bus. So, if the comfort module is faulty, it could be jamming the can bus. You might try disconnecting the comfort module and seeing if the speedometer works after that. If it does, that would meaning it is definitely the comfort module and not the ignition switch.One more thing, on car-part.com they refer to it as the body control module....just in case you end up needing to buy a used one.
Hey i pull one off the same one today from a junkyard its any way that i can plogg it to close the windows i am driving to california from jacsonville tomorrow morning and the only mecanicc that can see it its not availible until next week
Try plugging it in and see if it works. It may not be coded properly, but it may work.
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic