VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I have a vw 2002 Vista thats starts then shuts off? Vista…

Customer Question
I have a vw...

I have a vw 2002 Vista thats starts then shuts off?

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '02 VW?

Vista motorhome on a euro van chasis

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

We tryed thinking fuel pump was stuck? Cant really tell if fuel pump is bad or not? Fuel pump is out

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: VW
3/14/2018
VW Mechanic: Danny, VW Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
How long after starting does it shut off? It may be an immobilizer issue, if it starts for about a quarter of a second then shuts off in a icon with a car and a key flashes on the dash then the immobiliser is having issues.This is typically not what fuel pumps do if the fuel pump is bad it will either start and then run for you know 10 or so minutes until it gets hot and then it'll die or it'll just not start at all.
It shuts off within seconds. The only thing on the dash was the check engine light and the letters ECP came on.
You mean EPC?
Are you repair shop or are you just working on your vehicle? You really should get a scan tool and scan for faults.
sorry.
We are a repair shop for RVs but not for engine problems. When the vehicle came in it ran just fine, then when we went out to start it it wouldn't start.
Okay we guess you have a scan tool then right? I need the fault codes please.
P0444 was the only stored code
The EPC system consists of the throttle body, the crankshaft position sensor, and the maf. If the crank position sensor was faulty you probably have a fault I would try running basic settings 60 in the engine computer and see if the throttle body adapts.Maybe use the scan tool to graph the crank position sensor signal.And then look at the fuel trims in measured value block 32 and see that they are close to zero both idle and cruisem