VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

My VW is making a really fast clicking sound but no other…

My VW is making a...
My VW is making a really fast clicking sound but no other symptoms. Should I be worried?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

When does it make the clicking sound?

Does it sound like it is coming from behind the driver side of the dash, engine compartment, front end, or elsewhere?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Under the hood, It makes it after it's warmed up when idling is the only time Off notice because I'm able to hear it when I stop. It's a manual btw
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I notice** not off

HI,

Ok, possible causes are the fuel injectors clicking, ac compressor clutch clicking, or possibly the engine valves clicking

All need to be listened to with a mechanic's stethoscope to determine which is the cause

Fuel injectors clicking is a sign of the solenoids in them wearing and needing to replace the injectors

Compressor clutch clicking is a sign of the compressor clutch shims failing and impending compressor clutch failure

Valves clicking means either an oil pressure issue or the valves need to be adjusted

As these may cause engine performance issues and if it is the valves due to low oil pressure it can cause engine damage, so you do want to have it inspected to find which is the cause and go from there

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I should probably mention the car only has 50,000 miles on it. Does that make you lean one way more than the other?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'll get a mechanics stethoscope. That is EXACTLY what my boyfriend said. He is mechanically inclined and I just wanted to pick your brain. Two heads are better than one. Don't worry I think you did a great job :)

HI,

With 50,000 miles, I would more suspect the fuel injectors, but all 3 need to be checked

Your boyfriend may want to try a direct induction cleaning of the injectors first and if noise is still there, then check all 3. Below it how to do a direct induction cleaning

You will need a can of SeaFoam cleaner, a funnel and a helper.

Disconnect the large vacuum hose at the brake booster(this goes directly to intake manifold). Have helper crank engine and every few seconds, goose the gas pedal to keep engine from stalling. Stick funnel in end of disconnect vacuum hose and slowly pour contents of Seafoam into funnel.( It will smoke white out the exhaust when doing this, which is normal for this procedure.)

Once done, reconnect vacuum hose and drive for about 5 miles at hwy speeds to finish cleaning out carbon.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My boyfriend was also thinking it could be the idler for the belt tensioner... Is that also an option? Thank you!

HI,

That is a possibility so he will need to listen to it as well, but normally it will make a noise whether engine is warmed up or not.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'll keep you updated. Thanks!
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager