VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

No power and bucking until 4000rpm. It’s fine after 4000rpm.

No power and bucking...

No power and bucking until 4000rpm

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

It’s fine after 4000rpm

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

01 Jetta gls 2.8

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?

Plugs wires coil sending unit in the tank and fuel filter and used acetylene to look for vacuum leak

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It was ran out of fuel a few times by previous owner

Dry compression test was 155psi
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/14/2018
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Was the compression test 155-psi across the board or did the front 3 cylinders differ from the rear three cylinders?I would be highly suspicious that the timing chain guides are broken, and the chains and guides need to be replaced. If you rev the engine so that it just barely goes over 2000 RPM, and then let the rpm fall to about 1800 RPM before tapping the throttle quickly to jump back up to about 2200 RPM, and the timing chains need to be replaced, you'll hear them rattle each time. You can use a mechanic's stethoscope or a long handled screwdriver pressed up against the timing chain cover, with the other end pressed against your ear to listen for chain noise.It sounds to me like the camshafts are advanced due to slack in the chain, because lacking power down low with a lot of power in the top end is a consequence of advanced camshaft timing.A vacuum leak will not cause a lack of power to 4000 RPM, it'll cause a misfire at idle that clears up almost immediately upon revving the motor.Have you scanned for fault codes in memory yet? Do you have a scan tool capable of reading the mass airflow sensor real time value at idle, and at 2000 RPM while the vehicle is stationary? I could use those numbers to diagnose the vehicle better.Typically mass airflow sensors that are faulty read correctly at idle and lower RPM, and get worse as the engine speed increases. Basically a bad MAF will do the opposite of what you're saying. However, go ahead and try to disconnect the electrical connector to the MAF and see if the engine runs better or worse. If it runs better it indicates the MAF is faulty, I'd it runs worse or the same, then it isn't the problem.If I have answered your question to your satisfaction please remember to hit accept is that is the only way that I'm compensated at all for my time.If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask you can continue to ask questions even after hitting accept.
Timing chains Were done by Volkswagen 50k km ago and there is no rattle it just misfires. It seems to run ok through the rpm if you don’t press the throttle very hard as you drive. But If you snap the throttle and demand power the engine light flashes and misfires and jumps until 3800-4000rpm then it has a ton of power. Could it be throttle related or would there be codes. Unplugged maf didn’t make a difference. Compression was even through all cylinders. Codes on solus scanner were p0300 p0301 p0302 p0305 p0306. One time an iat voltage high or low I can’t remember cams up
Ok, well the IAT sensor is in the MAF, inspect the MAF wiring for damage, cracking wires, look to see if the pins in the connector are splayed open.I need those MAF readings I asked for at idle and 2000 RPM while sitting stationary please.
Maf at idle 4.8 g/s
2000 rpm = 11.2 g/s
Misfire cyl 1= 174
Intake temp 33
Coolant temp 129
Battery v 14.2v
Idle speed -1.0
Throttle valve po 13
Throttle valve po 87
02 regulation 5.4%
02 sensor bank 1 0.445
02 sensor bank 1Only code that came back after clearing and driving for a while was p0300 and p0301. Bad injector? Does it seem odd that only a few minutes after a cold start the coolant temp is already 129?
That's not out at all about the coolant temp you want the engine to get to full temperature as fast as possible it should get up to temp within minutes that's the job of the thermostat. Pistons are technically not fully round until they're warmed up so you have oval pistons in a round bore the longer that they're not around the more they beat the cylinders up, that's why warming your vehicle up by letting it idle is not recommended.Get a spray water bottle Idle the vehicle and spray the ignition coil on the side of the cylinder with water while it's running and see if it starts running worse and then due to the plug wires as well I think you got a bad coil. The mass airflow sensor is definitely good.
The coil is 25 minutes old and I did that before I replaced it but i replaced it anyway. Plugs and wires are new also. How can I measure fuel pressure. And what about the intake rod I see it is moving but can it be broken inside. Above 4000rpm it runs fine
It's just a solid rod, I've personally never seen that happen, try moving it by hand where the vacuum canister attaches to it. Maybe the vacuum canister hasn't pushed it back to the low throttle position.You are correct though it will run like absolute crap if that's the case, I reinstalled one wrong one time and it was stuck in the wrong position and it did this.
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic