VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

The remote for my 2001 beetle does no unlock the doors or…

Customer Question
The remote for my...

The remote for my 2001 beetle does no unlock the doors or the power switch inside the vehicle lock or unlock the doors, it stopped working a few days ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?

Yes but the remote does activate the alarm

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Repalcing fuses

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

How does this work that you connect me to a mechanc what is the cost and warranty for resolving the issue?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: VW
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/12/2018
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 1 month ago
kyle swart

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for using just answer. So your key fob is not locking or unlocking the vehicle, and the lock switch in the door panel is also inoperative? If you operate the lock/unlock switch in the passenger door, does that lock operate? thanks.

Kyle S.
A.S.E. certified master auto technician
licensed smog technician, test and repair, L-1 advanced engine performance certified
Certified Volkswagen technician, 2003,2004,2013,2014,2015
Volkswagen and Audi independent 12 years

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
actually the passsenger side operates manually from the inside. And the power rearview mirror switch also doesnt work
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 1 month ago

So, there is no power switch for the locks on the passenger door?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the remote activates the alarm and the power trunk
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
nop only the power window switch, all fuses have been tested, the switches light up at night
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hello anyone there?
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 1 month ago

The first thing I would inspect is the wiring in the drivers door, between the door jamb and the car body.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
done already
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 1 month ago

Will the key inserted into the tumbler in the drivers door handle, lock and unlock the car? thanks.

VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 1 month ago

Ok good. I have seen the mechanical linkage break and stick the door lock in one position, not allowing the locks to operate. Do you have a scan tool capable of speaking with all the computers in the car? thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
scanned the car twice no codes
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
could it be the power switch or the heated mirror that burned out?
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 1 month ago

Ok. can you talk to the body control module? There are some values in there that will help us narrow down the issue. If the power lock switch and power mirror switch both do not work, I would make sure the connector at those switches is ok. Does the key fob have a flashing red light on it when you operate it? If the power mirror and lock switches were faulty, the power lock on the passenger side would still operate when manually using the key in the door.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
verified both conectors and the have power, the key fob has a flashing red light when locked. but the power lock on the passenger does not work. could it be a relay if so were is it located. I have the schematic but it mentions two number 4 and 9.
VW Mechanic: Danny, VW Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
The other technician asked if you had a scan tool capable of talking to all the control modules on the vehicle, but you mentioned there's no codes and that's not going to be possible with what you're describing I think you misunderstood what we're asking is if you have a scan tool that can talk to the comfort module not just a generic OBD2 scan tool.Do you have a scan tool that can scan the Comfort module?Also you talk about the side view mirrors not functioning are you saying that it doesn't work for either side or does it just not work for the passenger side? Have you inspected the wiring between the door and the body on the passenger side as well?I like to back up a little bit so when you hit the lock or unlock button on the driver's door does it lock either of the doors?If what you're saying is that when you hit the lock or unlock button on the driver's door it only works for the driver's door, and when you use the power mirror switch it also only works for the driver's door, then I think the wiring is bad going over to the passenger door.It's probable that the door latch for the passenger door is faulty, but also it seems like maybe the Comfort module itself is bad.The cover module is up on the steering column above the driver's paddles you might go to a www.car-part.com and buy a used comfort module and swap it in, and see if it fixes any of your issues.I wouldn't usually recommend just part swapping like that but otherwise you need to scan tool vcds from rosstech.com, and in reality you should probably buy that scan tool if you're going to be trying to work on your own vehicle anyways because everything is so computerized now, it's basically impossible to work on your vehicle without just throwing parts at it, because even the factory manual doesn't explain the signals that some of these things put out to their respective modules because it's unnecessary with scan tool and sometimes it's digital messages on a diagnostic data bus that you can't test.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
not good enough i fixed it myself, your advise did not help at all
Yeah I came into it way late I was just trying to help you, what did it end up being?
Danny
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic