VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

2002 VW Beetle. I am installing a rear view camera on my…

Customer Question
2002 VW Beetle....

2002 VW Beetle. I am installing a rear view camera on my beetle. The cig lighter in the trunk compartment does not work. No power to it. The fuse is OK, The other cig lighters up front work. Is there another live wire in the trunk compartment I can use to power the camera?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

It is comsistent.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I have removed the wire connector from the cig lighter and there is no power there

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The canera system I am installing is a Auto-Vox wireless system #T1400W and does not have any wires to run front to back.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: VW
3/12/2018
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 4 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Welcome, I'm Wolfgang, Master VW Tech.

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

I do need the vin # to get the factory information to assist.

Thanks

3VWCB21CX2M429946

sorry for my delay!!

got hung up at a meeting!! working on this right now!!

is the fuse 41 in the side fuse box good and do you have 12 volts on both legs of the fuse?

that is the fuse I checked and it is good. Both of the other 2 12 volt outlets on the same fuse had power.

either the connector for the outlet is disconnected or there is a open of the power wire .

do you have the panel out and the 2nd power outlet access to see the connectors

I removed the connector from the back of the plug and no power there.