VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Epc light and check engine light are on. Both lights are on…

Epc light and check...

Epc light and check engine light are on

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Both lights are on solid

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

2002 vw golf

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Havent tried anyrhing yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes i plan on fixing it myself

When you try and accelerate the car does not respond has very little power and acts like it doesnt want to shift past 3rd gear or 40 mph
3/11/2018
vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician

Good afternoon have you had he trouble codes checked with a scan tool yet ??

No i stopped by auto zone but they told me they were too busy to run the diagnostic check

OK did the check engine light ever blink at you ?? and what engine do you have ??

It didnt blink its on steady the car is idling perfectly doesnt seem to be missing at all the rpms dont jump at all when its running in park its the 2.0
I think i should mention the battery died and i had to jump start the car

OK there are many things that can cause these lights to come on the most common issue for this motor to cause that light is a mass air flow sensor issue these are very common to cause the lights to trigger when they start going bad. The first thing you will need to do is have the trouble codes checked and and see if you have a (mass or low volume input fault ). I hope this helps please dont forget to provide feedback for the help provided thank you

Would that also cause the engine to lose power and not shift properly?

Yes it would because the transmission uses the engine load input from the mass air flow sensor to adjust its shift patterns. I hope this helps please dont forget to provide feedback for my help thank you

vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician