VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Crank but no spark. 2001 vw golf 2.0 ach motor. Avh. New…

Customer Question
Crank but no spark ...

Crank but no spark

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

2001 vw golf 2.0 ach motor

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

Avh

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

New coil new crank position sensor new plugs and wires new timing belt new water pump

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes doing it myself

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: VW
3/10/2018
VW Mechanic: Kevin, VW Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Kevin
Kevin, VW Mechanic

Hi im kevin are there any fault codes in system ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Code reader can't connect with car
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No

Does engine management light illuminate on dash board ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You mean epc light

No the engine management should be there also yellow engine block shaped warning

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the engine block with little lightning bolt

Ok and what scanner are you using ?

how did this problem start ? Does fuel pump run ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
An innova ob2 scanner

does fuel pump run ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just bought the car and thought it would b crank position sensor but not it
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
fuel pump runs

ok so you really would need to try another scanner to msee if you can get comms with ecu

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Everything works other then two coils with no spark
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I just bought this for this reason
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
this was no help either

ok let me just check wiring diagram .do you have a voltmeter

my info on this engine code is limited il opt out another tech may have more info

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok
VW Mechanic: Amedee, VW Technician replied 1 month ago
Amedee
Amedee, VW Technician

Hello and welcome!

Different expert here.

This condition no start condition is likely caused by this no communication issue that you are experiencing. If the ECM is not able to communicate, then it is not going to be able to start and run the engine.

Some possible causes would be..

• Blown fuse
  • Ignition switch
  • ECM
  • Another faulty module on board the vehicle
  • Shorted sensor (pulling the reference voltage down)
  • Wiring issue
  • Faulty ground

I am glad I can help! Keep in mind this is a "starting point". My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if I do a jumper wire from ecu to coil signal switch to bypass a short would that work

I doubt it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
do i need a ecu

It is possible but some further checking needs to be done first.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does a new ecu need flashed

I do believe so.

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or offline spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok so this site is really no help

I answered all of your question.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just throwing out guesses anybody can do that
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Car is not running so no really u didnt

I am not guessing. I am giving you possible causes.. which is what you asked for.

It needs to be diagnosed.

This site is not intended to be used in place of a full blown diagnoses on your vehicle.

Of course I cannot diagnose the vehicle over the internet.

This site is used for informational purposes ONLY.

Keep in mind, I am trying to help you by answering all of your questions.. which is exactly what I did.

Your welcome.

VW Mechanic: Danny, VW Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
I have no problem diagnosing this.So if the tachometer is not registering that the engine is moving and showing that it's in a couple hundred RPM while cranking, then the crankshaft position sensor is not communicating with the engine computer.Here's a link to the reason why the scan tool won't communicate with the vehicle my guess is that you have an aftermarket radio and the radio harnesses short power to the communications bus you need to clip wire off the harness.http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/aftermarket-radio.htmlScroll down to the bottom and show you what wire to cut.Okay so now the issue is there's a problem with the crankshaft position sensor signal and you need to run new wires all the way from the crankshaft position sensor to the engine computer.Those wires are supposed to be twisted pair so you kind of braid them together so they don't create counter electromagnetic interference.Please let me know if the tachometer is actually showing that the engine is spinning and showing a couple hundred RPMs, but my guess is that it's not, and the jammed communications bus has nothing to do with it.Continue working with me I'll get your vehicle running I can definitely diagnose over the internet.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the new wires from crank position sensor are they temp wires or need to b run with the harness
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
P0354 code which is ignition coil not functioning properly
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Any answer ?
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 1 month ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Welcome, I'm Wolfgang, Master VW Tech.

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Since 2 other people tried to assist and did not get anywhere lets start from the beginning.

you have spark in 2 cylinders and the other 2 does not have spark correct?

you have a code p0354 only?

Since you have a new timing belt do you have compression in all cylinders?

This is to start.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No spark at all, only that one code and good compression

ok i need a vin #

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry wasn't home
Vin#9BWBT61J914052561
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did u get it
Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician