VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

2003 jetta 2.8 no dash lights or check engine light no

2003 jetta 2.8 no...

2003 jetta 2.8 no dash lights or check engine light no communication with zeus snap on scanner at all no info centers and starts for 2 seconds dies?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Neither

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?

No im an electronic tech at riggs service center in clarksburg wv first car ive had in 6 years i couldnt figure out?????

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats about it??

the fuel pump is engaging and staying engaged after 2 seconds the car dies then the relay opens so fuel pump circuit is fine! vehicle is standard shift also i took computer out and took apart used magnifying glass nothing is burnt or melted no bad solder connections. all ignition switch terminals are powered up also my alldata does not show me dash wiring?? so i don't know if immobilizer is engaging?? but the dash isn't lighting up except for battery light thats ALL thats illuminating so that has to be the problem?? at least the root cause.anyway thats all ive got its killin me!!!!!!!!
3/9/2018
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
You state some conflicting things, firstly you stated the check engine light doesn't come on, are you stating that with the key on in the run position with the vehicle off that there is no check engine light?Your statement about the fuel pump circuit is not exactly correct, I would not consider the fuel pump relay circuit fine just because of the way you're visually and audibly observing it. The fuel pump circuit or fuel pump relay also supplies powered all the other sensors and solenoids fuel injectors Etc in the engine bay and that cannot be observed by what you've stated. I'm not saying that it's the problem I'm just saying don't be so quick to rule it a good part.The way the immobilizer functions on this vehicle is as soon as the vehicle fires up the engine the engine computer asks the instrument cluster if the key code is correct and if it's not it shuts off the fuel injectors, this takes less than half a second. So if the engine is running for 2 seconds before dying then the immobilizer is not the issue.As far as the communication with the scan tool if the vehicle has an aftermarket radio then that is probably the problem. Aftermarket radio harnesses short power to the communications bus, here is a link to the issue you just scroll down to the bottom it just involves cutting one wire.http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/aftermarket-radio.htmlNow, how many volts is the alternator actually putting out? Definitely do a voltage drop test across the positive charge harness, the charge harnesses on these vehicles are known to fail and eat up voltage, here's a video I made about it for my YouTube channel.https://youtu.be/fDdgs5bqzZgLet me know on the voltage issue, and let me know about the radio and whether or not it's factory.If the radio is factory, I would probably suspect that the instrument cluster is faulty, I have to double-check but I'm almost certain that the headlight switch simply gives a signal to the instrument cluster that the lights are on and that being that the instrument cluster is a control module, it then powers up the lights internally.The instrument cluster on this vehicle also contains the can bus module, which is another reason I think that the instrument cluster may be faulty.Let me know on the couple things I asked you and we'll go from there. If your size I'll answer and you figured it out please remember to hit accept next to my name as it's the only way that I am compensated for my time. If you need to ask follow-up questions you'll still be able to even after hitting accept.
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic