VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I replaced some wrong fuses with correct ones and now the…

I replaced some wrong...

I replaced some wrong fuses with correct ones and now the convertible top doesn't go down

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

No. but it worked fine until i replaced some fuses yesterday.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Convertible?

2004

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. ive tried reseting the computer

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I put in the correct fuses for 6, 29, and 37 i think (the were the wrong amps). after that, the top wouldnt work.

3/8/2018
Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, my name is***** you post your vin number for me?

3VWCD31Y94M329979

Thanks, ***** ***** box did you replace the fuses in?

The one under the steering wheel. Didn't know there was another.

Ok, are there any empty slots in the fuse box or are they all taken by fuses?

All taken, besides the ones you can't put fuses in.

Ok, standby.

Let's try relearning the power windows. With the key on, hold the power window switch for all windows in the down position. Continue holding down for 10 seconds after the windows are all the way down. Then raise the windows and continue holding the switch in the up position for 10 seconds after all the windows are up.

Let me know if it works.

Didnt work

With the windows completely closed, do the windows drop when you open each door.

I don't think so. Either I've never noticed them drop or they've never dropped. They do still go down a little when I attempt to put the top down. Even those panels in the back move.

Ok, then it sounds like the roof needs to be synchronized. You are probably going to need to get the car connected to a VW tester to erase fault codes in the convertible top system and synchronize the roof. Sometimes you can manually lower then raise the roof and it will start working.

You will need to open the vent valve on the pump when lowering the roof manually.

Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician