VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

2004 Passat. Driver's door won't latch shut when below

2004 Passat. Driver's door won't...
2004 Passat. Driver's door won't latch shut when below freezing and exposed to moisture. Need to know if this is the latch mechanism, or caused by bad weather stripping, and need a short term, reliable fix without removing latch mechanism.
3/7/2018
VWDoc
VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner

Unfortunately, this is always a case of a bad latch assembly. I have yet to come across any sort of fix that actually works, and I've tried a number of different methods on dozens of different Audi/VW models. Fortunately, there are lower cost solutions available here: https://www.hansautoparts.com/3B1837015ASDoorLockActuator.aspx

Why does it only happen in the winter?
if the latch assembly is replaced, is that all that is needed? Why is water getting in there?

The mechanism just freezes internally. My shop replaces maybe 4-5 latches in the Summer, and about 30 in the winter, as we're in western NY area. Water can creep in through the part that you can see move in the door jam itself. In my experience with my own cars, they last about 5-6 years before needing to be replaced again. Wish I had better news, but it's pretty common in cold and/or salty areas.

Okay, anything I need to know about replacing it? Tricks or things to watch out for?

It's very straight forward if you've got decent mechanical ability. I'll link you to a pretty good youtube video detailing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ortb6EjdFyo

VWDoc
VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner
Okay, thanks so much, Doc!!!!