VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I HAVE A 2001 VW JETTA 1.8T WOLFSBURG EDITION. I HAD SOMEONE…

Customer Question
I HAVE A 2001 VW...
I HAVE A 2001 VW JETTA 1.8T WOLFSBURG EDITION. I HAD SOMEONE LOOK AT IT BECAUSE I COULD NOT PUT IT ON 3RD GEAR AND 5TH EVENTUALLY ALSO FIRST AND REVERSE. NO ITS STUCK IN SOME GEAR AND IT DOES NOT EVEN FIND NEUTRAL.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: VW
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/7/2018
VW Mechanic: Martin, auto electrical replied 4 months ago
Martin, auto electrical

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer.

This real easy to adjust the gear lever position.

The first step. The cables have springs with locking rings on them. Push the spring and locking ring back ward and turn the locking ring clock wise, it should lock and hold the spring under tension. this will free the cable lock.

Second step. There is a black L shape lever under the large gear selector lever. Push the lever inward and turn the small black L shape lever clock wise. It will lock the large gear lever in the down position.

Thured step. Go inside the car. remove the gear selector boot, by pulling it upwards. You will see a funny lip with a 5mm whole in it. Line line whole up with one on the gear selector holder mounting. Use a nail a 4 ich nail is 5mm thick or a 5mm drill. Now go to the gear selector cables and unlock the lock rings on the cables.

Unlock the holder pin on the gear selector and the one on the inside of the car to, all should now work fine. if this is not the case then inspect the cable lock ring for damage.

Greetings,

Martin.

Could there be a possible damage to the gearbox

I do not think so. You can test the operation of the selector by selecting the gears by hand ontop of the gearbox. The big hammer like selector will give you three positions the center one will be neutral. One cable will select forward and backwards. This will eihter be the lower or higher gear in that gateway. The other cable will select side ways. The side ways motion is selecting the range gateway either 1 st and second or 3rd and 4th. And soon.

I hope you can understand this it is actually simple once you understand the motion it's a bit hard to write it out though.

Greetings,

Martin.

Just thinking if there is a fault with the transmission you will not be able to select the gears as I have describe the lever will jam. Push both the cable locks inwards to put the springs under pressure that will release the gear cables to ensure that the jam is inside the transmission.

They do move
Perfectly fine

Then do the adjustment as I have describe it should work fine. If the cable that is setting the gateway is mall adjusted it will lock the movement of the other cable.

Do you happen to know any websites to buy a linkage shifter cables?

You can buy them on Ebay

It doesn’t matter if they are used or brand new

I see that they advertise on Ebay you can select both new and used.