VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Vw starts then shuts off no dash lights when the key is

Customer Question
Vw starts then shuts...

Vw starts then shuts off no dash lights when the key is turned on and wont connect to diagnostic tool. have lights horn radio and door locks but not windows

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Checked all fuses. car started prior had all dash lights i shut the car off then it happened. it set all night and did display a cel then it went away

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

04 jetta gli 1.8t

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Jetta GLI yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. checked all fuses and relays we found checked and cleaned all the grounds we could find. made sure everything was plugged in under the hood

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just installed the engine as it jumped time and was repaired we then started the vehicle got it running and idling on its own then shut it off thats when all this started

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: VW
3/6/2018
VW Mechanic: Danny, VW Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
How long does it run for before shutting down?Windows and lights are on the load reduction circuit your vehicle seems to have a bad ignition switch I think I would probably just get an ignition switch and plug it in to the electrical connector turn it with a screwdriver and see if the vehicle runs you're definitely need to make sure that the key is in the ignition though because your car has immobilizer and the pickup coil around the ignition lock cylinder where the key is inserted needs to be able to read the key.If the ignition switch isn't the problem then I would probably next suspect a faulty instrument cluster which has the immobilizer built into it so if it's not powered up when the engine computer starts at vehicle it then looks to the instrument cluster for the key code if it doesn't get it, it shuts the fuel injectors off. That being said since the windows are also load reduction circuit and not functioning and have nothing to do with instrument cluster I really think it's probably a faulty ignition switch or load reduction relay.If I have helped to your satisfaction please remember to hit accept, as it's the only way the site will compensate me for my time. You'll still be able to ask follow-up questions on this topic of training except if you have any other issues please don't hesitate to ask.Make sure that the main fuse is on top of the battery or all good it was all the fuses and Order
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
2 seconds tops i do get some lights in the cluster like high beam light but no light of the immobalizer key showing up
Yeah I would start with the ignition switch.
Any luck getting this concern repaired? I want to make sure that you are fully satisfied and have gotten your vehicle fixed, if there's anything I can do to continue to assist you please don't hesitate to let me know. And if I answered your question and help fix the vehicle to your satisfaction please don't forget to hit accept because that's the only way the site compensates me.
Danny
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic