VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I replaced the lock cylinder on my 2008 VW Jetta 20 T now…

I replaced the lock cylinder...
I replaced the lock cylinder on my 2008 VW Jetta 20 T now all of the warning lights in the speedometer ggage housing stays on
3/3/2018
VW Mechanic: Mike Rodgers, VW Technician replied 4 years ago
Mike Rodgers
Mike Rodgers, VW Technician

Does the vehicle start?

It runs and the power steering is also sacting funny

When you say all the lights I assume the steering wheel light, traction control light, what others? Have you driven the vehicle at all since replacing the lock cylinder?

those are the lights Im talking about and yes Ive driven itIt runs well but those light stay on

First thing to do is drive the vehicle at a slow speed and turn the wheel full left and full right several times. The steering will then adapt and learn its position again. After being disconnected the steering angle sensor can loose it adaptation. If this does not solve your issue, check and make sure the module on the bottom that plugs into everything is properly seated in all the sensors and switches and there are no bent electrical pins. When the module is properly seated you should not have to fight it at all, it should slide right into all the sensors and switches. Make sure the steering angle sensor is in the correct location and seated properly. This is the rectangular block about 2 inches long 1 inch tall that has a bunch of rectangular "dots" on the front of it.

I'll do that now
It didnt do any good. Someone else put this column in for me the little box is just hanging and it looks like a plug is missing from the back of it. where does it goes
On the backside of the little box with the rectangle boxes there are pins looking like a plug is missing where does it goes and should there be a plug for it

It plugs directly into the larger module on the bottom. That will be your issue. He are some links. The red arrow is your steering angle sensor, the other picture is the module it plugs into. If it is an entirely new column and new sensor/switches they may not be coded to the vehicle.

https://cdn4.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Volkswagen_Golf_GTI_Mk_V/90-ELEC-Steering_Column_Stalks_Replacement/images_large/pic17.jpg

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/HGYAAOSwY~1Z86aF/s-l300.jpg

I guess that was a missed communication. all of those wires are plugged in I was talking about the box at the bottom of the column

On the rear of that box should be 2 plugs, one with a yellow cap on it and the other is a larger connector usually with a red tab.

they are plugged in

Do the turn signals and wipers work?

I Ihave another one of those that came with the column I got the ignition switch from should I try it

So the entire column has been replaced with new switches?

No just the ignition switch all the electrical parts are the same and everything works except those lights stay on and the steering seems a little hardThere's no difference with the other box in everything works but lights stays onThe green light by the 20 mph goes off when the brakes are applied and the seat belt sign goes off when they are fasten and and the dlr light went off when the button was pushed

Ok. Sounds like what has happened is the steering has lost it's adaptation and will not manually re-learn itself. This will have to be re-learned using a scan tool for the vehicle. Sometimes when the sensor/module is disconnected from power for a long time they will completely loose the adaptation. There are several aftermarket scanners out there that are able to re-learn the system, but I would highly recommend having the dealership do it with factory scan tool.

It has three wires that were stuck inside one of the plugs that are red black and blue. they were just strip at the ends and inside the plug that wires are red purple blue and beige

Were you able to get that corrected and did it take care of the issue?

I dont know which wires to connect. I can make the wipers work with one, I can crank it by touching another. Niether make the light goes off so I just have them hanging and it does as weve been discussinghe didnt see which one they were connected to just saw them there after he connected the plugs. they were just bear at the ends and not tied end do you have a wiring diagrahm of this areaThey may have pulled out of something because that doesnt make senseAs I said they are red blue and black
do you have a wiring diagrahm for this

VW wiring diagrams are not categorized by area, they are categorized by system (engine, ac, windows,ect.) So in order to look at the correct diagram I would need to know what component the torn wires go to. If you check the various connectors and find one with the pins on the front side and no wires coming out of the backside and can tell me where that plug fits into, I can tell you the correct wiring/pin assignment. Color of the wire helps, but there could be a blue wire going to the turn signals as well as a blue wire for the airbag, steering angle sensor, cruise control, ect..

Mike Rodgers
Mike Rodgers, VW Technician
As I said the wires to the backup to switch red blue beige and and purple and I think the wires that look after market all red blue and black

I'm a little confused. If there are aftermarket wires loose and you don't know what the go to, I can't help you there. As I said previously- if all the factory connectors and wires are properly installed, the only things left are the adaptation or a faulty component. At this point I feel your best idea would be to have the vehicle scanned with a diagnostic computer to see if there are codes in the system for adaptions or open circuits in order to pin point the issue. Is there any information I am missing that may help you resolve this?