VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I have a 2005 VW Passat that won’t start it did a little…

Customer Question
I have a 2005...

I have a 2005 VW Passat that won’t start it did a little shutter/ rough running just before it quit. It turns over but seems like it is not getting fuel.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

No I wouldn’t say I have noticed that is is burning through anymore fuel. And it turns over just like normal just doesn’t fire.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I have changed the fuel filter so far. I thought maybe the last place I filled up had bad fuel or something so I thought I would start there.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: VW
2/6/2018
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 4 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Welcome, I'm Wolfgang.

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

I do need a vin # to get the factory info to assist.

Thanks

WVWAE63BX5P060100

ok you have a diesel.

when you changed the filter did you fill the filter with fuel?

ok what we need to make sure that the transfer pump from the tank to the fuel filter is working.

i need you to remove the 2 clamped hoses of the fuel filter and have a jar under the openings of the 2 hoses disconnected and have a second person crank the vehicle do you have fuel coming out of one of the hoses?

keep me in the loop

thanks

there is fuel coming out of one.

did you scan the car for codes?

No because engine light was not on at any time.

ok when you turn the key on does the check engine light come on in the dash?

it does.

even though no check engine light come on that would be the next step to see if the computer caught something that is not in range

Ok. I’ll check and see if it throws any codes. I’ll get back to you.

great

I checked for codes it says no codes found.

next need to check if the timing belt is not broken. this is kinda hard to see due to the compact and restriction of room you need to pop the timing cover off and have another crank the vehicle and see if the belt is broken and is not missing any teeth .

if ok then a special fuel pressure gage is needed to check the high pressure pump . the pressure spec must be minimum 147 psi or 10 bar. this gage is a VW special tool .

Ok. I’ll try and check this out tomorrow. Thanks I’ll be in touch.

ok