VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

Well im not sure. we replaced the fuel pump the fuel pump…

Well im not sure...

Well im not sure. we replaced the fuel pump the fuel pump relay the crank position sensor the coil pack, and still no spark. i have a 97 vw jetta

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you certain it's the fuel pressure sensor that's in need of attention? What about the fuel rail? Have you checked it yet?

I havent no. Im the glorified secretary (aka wife trying to keep hubby from going mad) he says the fuel pump still isnt running

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?

Husband is a mechanic. i know he tested the fuel pump and can hot wire the fuel pump and it will run. but when he reconnects everything it wont run

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

He thinks there is something he is missing, but he just can figure it. tried everything he knows to get spark and nothing, it just cranks

1/23/2018
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Just so that I have a clear understanding, is the vehicle not getting spark(from the spark plugs) or fuel(from the fuel pump), or is it getting neither?

Also, what is the motor size of the vehicle?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No fuel from the pump and no spark from the coil
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
2.0

Thank you for that information. Give me a few moments, please to review a few things and check for probable causes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sure

What he needs to do is inspect the wiring and connection to the ECM first. This is the only component that will create this no fuel no spark issues that are present at the same time. The ECM signals and provides the power for the ignition coil as well as the fuel pump relay. The ECM will need to be inspected and replaced as needed. Here, I am attaching the electrical circuits with the areas of concern highlighted to give you a better understanding.

Has the vehicle been scanned for trouble codes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks so much. He will try that tomorrow after work!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not yet he says
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He says it wasnt throwing any codes. Went from hard starting to no starting at all, there is current to the fuel pump cuz the fuel Guage works

He need to get an inexpensive scan tool if he doesn't have one so that he can test for codes. The fuel gauge sender is on a separate circuit and does not mean the fuel pump is receiving power. He will have to check with a multimeter to be sure. Here I am attaching testing information for both circuits along with the electrical information for the circuits of the fuel gauge to give you an understanding of the fuel gauge.

I am suspect the ECM or the connections to the ECM to be the issue.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Just as a reminder, please, do not forget to rate the service. Thanks again.

Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician
Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician