VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Just finishing replacement of the brake master cylinder and…

Just finishing replacement of...

Just finishing replacement of the brake master cylinder and brake booster. When i reconnected the battery, the brake tail lights came on & stay on. I messed with the switch on the brake pedal, but pushing in the stem did not turn them off. If i unplugged the switch, they did go off. Still have to fill with brake fluid and bleed the system (need to pick up the right brake fluid tomorrow), but the brake reservoir was empty before i started the job & and i did not notice the taillights on then. researching to see what i should start looking at next, assuming that filling the reservoir and bleeding does not resolve the issue.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?

Tail light bulbs are all on. Not sure what connection you would be referring to.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

2006 Jetta TDI

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?

Had mechanic replace the master cylinder, on the way home, brakes essentially locked up. Towed to VW dealer, they said the master cylinder must have failed and leaked into the booster. Their quote was much more than I could justify (2000 to 3000 from what i remember), so pulled back home. Have been stretched too thin by work way too long, so has ended up sitting for long time until i could find time to work on. Finally had time to tear into today - put in VW master cylinder & brake booster today - trying to fix so college daughters could use it while a wheel bearing gets replaced on their vehicle. Tail lights coming on & staying on is new side twist as finishing up cylinder & booster replacement. The fact that they were not on before the replacement makes me think there may be a procedure / adjustments to go thru as part of this replacement - but i haven't found anything in the Bentley manual / online forums so far.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I believe that covers the core details. I don't think it matters, but I did remove the brake pedal while working to get it disconnected from the brake booster - removed he bolt that goes thru the bushing that the pedal pivots on.

1/21/2018
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Welcome, I'm Wolfgang.
* WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
* FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
* PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
* UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
* RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.Thanks for the good history of your issue. So the issue is that the brake lights will not turn off or the brakes are locked up? Thanks
main question right now is the brake lights not turning off. The brake lock up should be resolved by the new booster & master cylinder (old booster was filled with brake fluid when i took it off). will confirm that in a little while when i get back from the store with some new DOT4 brake fluid (according to Bentley service manual (I only had DOT3 on hand last night).)

The brake light switch is damaged . it is a one time adjustment. you will need a new switch and when installing make sure that the pedal is not depressed when installing . i usually take a bungee cord and have it attached to the brake pedal to steering wheel to hold in not pressed position and then install the new switch as it comes out of the bag.

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

I HAVE DONE MY PART IN HELPING YOU AND I DO EXPECT THE SAME WITH A 5 STAR RATING!!!

So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks and my pleasure!

Wolfgang

Put in the new brake switch yesterday (from carquest/autozone - only thing available on sunday) and the brake lights are behaving correctly again. But now, on the dash, the P-R-N-D indicators at the bottom of the dash have boxes that light up and flash on & off around the indicators when i drive the car (does not flash when in park). Would this be related to the brake switch, or what else would cause that??

it is possible that the switch may have caused that but also may have another issue!!

note now that I have directed you in fixing your brake lights this could be another issue. which more time will be Q&A time will be needed. will offer premium service for that if that is the case.

but if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

Thanks and my pleasure!

Wolfgang

Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician