VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Wont start... cranks... seems to have fuel pressure,

Wont start... cranks... seems...

Wont start... cranks... seems to have fuel pressure, spark...

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the vehicle? And when was it last serviced?

120k km and recently

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

2002 Passat 2002 allmotion V6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Tried doing a OBD test or 3... replaced plugs. Checked hoses. Checked fuel pressure. Checked pum, relay

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

OBD on foxwell throws faults... Pearl... are you real or a computer

1/20/2018
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue

Pear l is not real, it AI , but i m real

what were the faults retrieved by your code reader ?

we need spark and fuel to start , if we have fuel do we have spark ?

how did you check for fuel pressure ?

has ckp sensor been checked ?

what is the vin# ***** it so I pull up right circuit

If you do not mind me asking are you looking for the most possible causes and taking it to a repair shop or you are repairing it yourself and you need step by step instructions
Please Let Me Know
Thank You
Chad Farhat

Hi Chad... Pearl is a computer huh! thought so... clever. It's the middle of the night here but have taken photos of the results from a foxwell reader. There's a few faults! However I haven't seen one that would make i fail to start.. or is there? The link is to a Dropbox folder with pix of the faults https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gq0chek76wifc42/AAAOBmGmUy_ma0w_0TyXycjJa?dl=0

ok let me look at it , oh you are in the UK, have friends live there ,

love the fish and chips, it just tats better there

be right back

it is 6:36 am here on eastern side of the U.S

hahaha no I use a VPN... am in Auckland NZ... we make better fish and chips!

oh i see , my screen shows uk

awesome new NZ

i looked at these faults , we either have comfort access module issue or alternator charging or battery weak and not charging

can we start with checking battery for 12 volts and alternator for 14 volts when running and load on , like radio ,flasher etc

check the battery cables for loose or corrosion on battery and starter side

any security light flashing on dash

lets start here and we go from there

Yup... battery good. Alternator good... good charge V . Cables good. Turns over very well. Security... the water temp flashes... but think thats a result of my fiddling. It didn't before and same problem. Could be the CCM... was flooded with water... but funnily enough the car ran when I took the CCM out...
I dried and cleaned the CCM and it seemed to be fine... but the faults would indicate otherwise. Does the CCM normally cause the car not to start?

the security light should go out after key inserted and turned to on or start position and not flashes ,if flashes anti theft is triggered on

water intrusion inside ccm , did you take it apart and check the circuit board ?

Security light is off... better will sign off for the night. I'm also a motorsports commentator at a Speedway and have an event tomorrow (today) Yup checked the circuit board. Checked fuel pump relay, fuel pump...

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLX Sedan 4Motion (3B3)

V6-2.8L (ATQ)

System Active Indicator

• Vehicle
  • Accessories and Optional Equipment
  • Antitheft and Alarm Systems
  • Security Lamp/Indicator
  • Description and Operation
  • Components
  • Security Lamp/Indicator

System Active Indicator

System active indicator

The optical central locking system active indicator is via an additional LED in the upper part of the driver's door inner trim. The LED flashes for a period of time and then goes out.

When the LED is activated it will differentiate between the following functions:
- Central locking using SAFE system (lock once) LED activation then 50 ms on and 950 ms off, when the safe condition is attained
- Central locking not using SAFE system (lock twice) LED goes out.

The anti-theft alarm system (ATA) is not always displayed.

no worries , i will be happy to help you with it might take some back and forth

read below how we can continue later

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You?Chad Farhat?ASE Certified Technician

One more thing... occasionally it starts to fire... and runs on I'd say 2 to 3 .. maybe 4 cylinders... no throttle respons

we have a can bus line loss of communication

can you read all vw module fault with your scanner

I'll follow up tomorrow... read all modules... think it does... but will do a further look see

ccm bus line intermittent , will interfere with rest of the modules and it could be going in limp mode

any flashing check engine light when driving when it does start and run

ok good night we talk soon

it was running fine... parked it... small slope with left side down.. remember right hand drive here. My stepdaughter was going to use it... she couldn't start it... but last time it was running and the same slope... it was fine...

scan all modules and let me know what we have

do this for me

Master Reset

1-Disconnect Both Battery Cables ,Positive & Negative .
2- Touch Cables With Each Other For 60 Secs ( this will take any residual power in the Harness to Reset the Vehicle Modules )
3- Wait 30 min
4- Close all doors and trunk
5- Reconnect Battery Positive First
6- Use The Key in The Driver Side Door
Lock Cylinder to Lock it & Unlock,IF You have only a Key Fob ,use it to lock and unlock
7- Enter vehicle and Start it .

and let me know and we go from there

question , when it does not start ,do we have starter engagement ,i mean does crank over but want start or no crank over at all ?

yup good starter engagement... cranks over very well. New battery. I'll try the rest and update you. Thanks

ok sounds good

Chad Farhat
Didn't have chance to do anything over weekend... now at the beach for a few days til Thursday so will update then cheers

Ok cool deal, Have fun man,

Let me know i be here

Chad

Hi ChadOK... did the reset... no improvement. I checked fuel pressure again... but gauge didn't fit. Took the hose off the injectors and powered on fuel pump. The pump was shining as it should. However only one small squirt out of the pipe. Then nothing. So I squirted fuel into the air intake. The car started and ran perfectly for a few seconds.I'm thinking fuel filter perhaps?Cheers Peter
Hey Peter, I ageee fuel filter check or replace , also make sure the fuel pump is continuity to stay on after the switch is turned to start postion, it will prime on the on postion for few secs and quit until you start .
But if no fuel at rail and pump is running , then yes filter in the way .
Also if the pump is cutting off at start postion then we look into switch
Let me know what happens
Hi Chad.. Fuel is at the rail.. I took the cover off the relay to have a look.. The relay is fine.. If I push the relay down the pump works.. But instead of spurting out fuel, it goes once.. Just a bit.. Then no more. If I put the connection together and operate the pump, then take it apart, the fuel is pressurised but not as much as I would have thought

Fuel pump, fuel pump relay and ignition switch wiring circuit and fuel filter location

Fuel specs , check below the spec for your car, why is fuel pressure low , check it ,after fuel filter replacement

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS Sedan 4Motion (3B3)

V6-2.8L (ATQ)

Pressure, Vacuum and Temperature

• Vehicle
  • Powertrain Management
  • Fuel Delivery and Air Induction
  • Fuel Pump
  • Fuel Pressure
  • Specifications
  • Fuel Pressure

Pressure, Vacuum and Temperature

FUEL PRESSURE

Vacuum Hose Connected .................... 3.5 bar

Vacuum Hose Disconnected .................... 4.0 bar

Residual Pressure (after 10 minutes) .................... 2.0 bar

Thanks.. I'll check it.. Should the fuel continue to flow out when the hose is disconnected and the fuel pump activated?

which hoes , if the pressure hose is off the rail and fuel pump running yes u should have fuel keep coming out

The hose on the right bank rail haven't had the other one off yet.. It's not a threaded connection.. OK.. There's just one spurt and then nothing.. Sounds more and more like the filter.. Will check in the morning.. Fully appreciate your expertise thanks

ok, replace filter and let me know

Cheers

Just ordered a new filter.. 2 weeks they reckon :(

2 weeks, long time ,did you order online

Yup.. Being in NZ has advantages.. But delivery time is not one of them!

oh i see, for some reason it says UK on my screen you are in new Zealand ?

Will new Zealand be on the Tasman sea below Australia ?

has 2 main islands

capital is wellington ?

Can you get to Antarctica from there ?

Yup.. We'd like to think Aussie is just our western island. Not a bad place.. If it weren't for the Aussies

hahaha, i hear you

not sure on he history ,i have to study up on that .

do you have to fly to Australia or you can take a boat ?

do people in nz go to Australia a lot i take it ,in the summer ?

Yup Wellington is capital.. Auckland the biggest city at around 1.7 million.. Doesn't really get cold in Auckland.. Was 29c here today and still 22 now at 2am.. 2 main islands.. Antarctica is a long way from here! Closer to the bottom of NZ.. But Argentina is closer to Antarctica at the south.We're extremely multicultural here.. Everyone is moving here which has changed the country
Aussie.. Hell no.. People tend to go in winter.. In summer it gets hot in Auckland.. In Aussie there are big storms, cyclones and flooding in summer.Aussies come here for winter to ski.. South Island has some of the best mountains in the world for skiing.. A lot of Aussies coming here to live. Economic outlook much better here.. Our prime minister is having a baby which is unique.. She's 36 so guess she's good for it
NZ is a paradise.. I lived 20 years in Aussie.. But moved back here in 2002

I m supersized that NZ will be an immigrant destination

wow that awesome on the prime minster

i have to study up on nz, u got me interested to visit

I live in Tryon ,North Carolina , it is a Horsing and ranching community ,people retire here, i moved from big city few years back,just me and deer and a log cabin ?.lol

We say it's only a local call to heaven

i m looking at picture on Internet very nice , good trails for biking beautiful place look like it

( Local call to Heaven ) i like that

I live Tryon ,NC carolina , it is horsing community here , away from bug city ,lived in big city for years ,time for some peace and quiet.

i live in log cabin ,will take u 5 minutes on my drive way to get to my cabin ?

just deer , bears and horses .

We have one of the the highest immigration figures per capita in the world.. A lot of English, American, Aussies Chinese, Indian, Pacific islanders etc etc.. Big increase on American immigrants

American are leaving , no wonder , it is tough here then before for sure ,we have immigration issues for sure .

Cheap labor is needed but eventually it will hurt if not balanced .

Auckland has been in the top 3 most livable cities worldwide for well over a decade.. We have the title of best business environment, least corruption and amongst the British and sometimes the Americans, we're the top destination worldwide.. We're world number one and world champions in rugby.. The famous all blacks.. Rugby is our national game.. I'm 60 and still play.. Hard on the body though.I better get some sleep.. Anything you want to know about NZ.. Just ask.. Cheers

Wow ,good for you ,keep it up ,life is good :)

Good night ,keep me update,nice chatting with you

talk to you soon

You bet Chad.. Have a great day cheers Peter

You too peter

Cheers