VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I hear a light rattling sound around the top of the engine…

I hear a light...

I hear a light rattling sound around the top of the engine that may be a timing chain problem but I don't know how to test it. I checked the belt tensioner and it is fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

For about 300 miles. It is a Rialta RV on a Eurovan, 2.8 L VR6. I have no error codes yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Eurovan?

1999 with 32000 mi.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Eurovan yourself? What have you tried so far?

All I have done is locate the noise..loudest under the plastic shroud that fits over the top of the engine. I fix things myself but don't know if this is too involved. Dealers won't work on this because it is partly Winnebago and they claim it is too wide for their lift rack.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Only that I have heard that there seem to be issues with timing chains on these engines.

1/19/2018
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

1st thing to try is remove the oil filler cap with the engine running and listen for the noise

a timing chain thats loose with make a 'tinkling' noise especially on the over-run

so if you have your assistant blip the throttle whilst listening and if you hear the rattle as the engine slows down

if its there then the front cover will have to come off to access the chain and hydraulic tensioner

the chains / tensioners were supposed to last the lifetime of the engine. It just turns out that there was a weakness with the tensioner pad which means it can wear out prematurely, some engines can go 200,000 miles with no problems

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Can the tensioner and chain be replaced with the engine still in the car if I take the front cover off?
Please disregard my last question. I thought it was covered by the $38.00, but I guess not. I will try the mechanic's suggestion. It was very helpful.

yes

the biggest issue is access on some cars the front cover is so tight to the inner fender it has to be dropped out

but on the van you should be fine

and you only pay per post so you can ask as many questions as you want on this post

Thank you, ***** ***** the engine had to be removed. will I have to get that timing plate tool to line up the notches on the upper cams