VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Did a smoke test, smoke coming from between engine and

Did a smoke test...

Did a smoke test, smoke coming from between engine and transmission vehicle is a 2009 golf gti

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you been losing oil or coolant?

Around 180k slow oil leak from there as well

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Golf GTI yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes just bought it change the hpfp and spark plugs now checking for no boost condition

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Car isnt making boost, thats why i did smoke test

1/18/2018
Cesar Jimenez

hi im cesar jimenez and i will be assisting you today. im reveiwng question now.....

what area did you smoke test??

I put smoke in the pcvhose and plugged the hole on the intake manifold

can you take a picture of where the smoke was coming from???

hi just checking up on you. please use the stars and please remember to rate me on my services will be greatly appreciated. thank you and have a good day.

Smoke coming from when the trans bolts onto the engine

im reviewing now..

can you send an image???

I don’t have the car on the hoist at the moment

was smoke coming from the top or bottom?

Bottom, under the motor. There’s a small hole and the very bottom and it was coming out of there and a few other mating surfaces where the two meet

are you have any other problems with engine??

I fixed the no power problem, the high pressure fuel pump was seized and it was causing the car to go into limp mode, I replaced that and power is back. I’m worried it may be a bad read main seal where the smoke is coming from. But should that not be submerged in oil?

yes thats what i was going to say. the rear main seal will have to be replaced. no the rear main seal should not be submerged in oil. but oil does run around the seal. when seal starts to wear out is starts to leak

Would you recommend replacing my pcv system before diving into the rear main seal, perhaps it would slow the leak down

get some brake cleaner or carb cleaner and clean PCV valve. shake the valve and it should click. also check that the crankcase ventilation hoses are not plugged with carbon.

Okay I will try that, should I pull the intake and do a cleaning on the intake valves? Recently purchased the vehicle and want to do a once over of everything, get it back to good condition

only clean the throttle body and PCV hoses and valve. DO NOT spray into intake valves

Okay, what is the best was to clean carbon from the intake valves? Would a fuel treatment help?

yes buy a LUCAS FUEL TREATMENT.

Ok will try that, anything else you recommended for these motors to upkeep them?

make sure you use high octane fuel and synthetic motor oil. only LUCAS additives. i personally dont like other ones. thats really everything just keep up with maintenance they are very good cars

Cesar Jimenez
Perfect appreciate all the help

thank you