VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I want to do an engine and tranny swap from my 2005 Jetta…

I want to do an...
I want to do an engine and tranny swap from my 2005 Jetta TDI MK4 manual tranny to a Jetta Wagon. What components would need to get swapped over in order to make this happen? Also what years would be compatible?
1/18/2018
kyle swart

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for using just answer. Mechanically, this is simple, just time consuming. Electrically, It is much more involved. If you found the same year wagon with the same part# ***** control module, that would be the easiest. Your car should be the pumpe duese motor, not the alh.

Kyle S.
A.S.E. certified master auto technician
licensed smog technician, test and repair, L-1 advanced engine performance certified
Certified Volkswagen technician, 2003,2004,2013,2014,2015
Volkswagen and Audi independent 12 years

my engine is a PD. What I'm going for is searching a Wagon with a nice body and interior. I already have an engine and transmission that I like. What are the hurdles of swapping my TDI and transmission onto a Wagon with a different engine and transmission? This would open up my wagon candidates because Wagons are hard to find TDI stick shift.

Different years and different drivetrains have different components and different harnesses. You would need to obtain wiring diagrams to see the differences, and you would have to compare part #s of all control modules involved to determine there compatibility. (abs,airbag,comfort, instrument cluster, etc). If you found a wagon with a pd but was an auto trans, that would be much less invasive. If it was a 1.8t or 2.0, Your looking at stripping the entire car of all its electrical components and harnesses and putting yours into it ( basically just using the shell).

Thanks.
For some reason I'm having trouble rating this question.

They were having an issue with the site, looks like it has been corrected. Hopefully the information I supplied helped. Please leave me a 5 star rating, if you do not feel I deserve a 5 star rating, please let me know ahead of time and I will make sure I have done all that I can to assist you, thank you.

kyle swart