VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I have put a different engine in a Skoda Octavia 1.9 TD

Hi. I have put a...
Hi. I have put a different engine in a Skoda Octavia 1.9 TD manufactured in 2007. The oil pump failed on the previous engine. The new engine is running fine and everything thing works as it should apart from the power steering. The red power steering warning light is showing on the dash and the steering is really stiff. I have checked all fuses and made sure all electrical connections are good. The car was towed with a rope after the previous engine gave up. Would this effect the power steering. The power steering is electronic. Any help with this will be much appreciated. Thanks
1/16/2018
Kevin
Kevin, VW Mechanic

Hi im kevin .towing will not have any negative effect on power steering .have you had fault codes read from steering system ?

No I don't have software to read the fault codes

This would be this first step to ensure the steering controller is communicating correctly

Yeah that steering light used to come on occasionally with the previous engine after I changed a battery. It's almost undriveable now because steering is so heavy so not easy to get it to a garage to read codes

Ok have you checked wiring to controller ?

Where is the controller?

The controller is part of steering rack .i would go back over what you have dobe and ensure everything is plugged up correctly around battery and fuse box area

I didn't unplug anything from the steering rack when I was replacing the engine. I have checked all connections and all seem good

It will be around the fuse box area near battery rather than the rack

Yeah went through everything in that area and all is good. I marked all connections when I was taking the engine out to make sure I wouldn't forget anything. Is there a relay for the steering system?

No relay just a very large fuse in engine fuse box .its turned on by the controller .the next step is to have system read

Ok Kevin I will have to get it read tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks

No problem il wait for your response .please remember to rate my service

Kevin
Kevin, VW Mechanic
Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, VW Mechanic