VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

2004 R5 VW Touareg auto. PPRND21S lights on dash not

2004 R5 VW Touareg auto.PPRND21S...
2004 R5 VW Touareg auto.PPRND21S lights on dash not working, transmission in limp home, ESP light on. I have a VCDS but the CAN Bus isn't connecting to the ECU.
1/14/2018
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Welcome, I'm Wolfgang.

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

I do need a picture of the dash when running please to verify something.

in the spare tire are is a white sticker 3x5 that has the option codes. can you provide the pic of the whole options sticker please to pull up the factory information to assist. please see attached file for example

thanks

Hi Wolfgang, pictures attached.
Does the vehicle start and run?
The engine starts easily and runs perfectly. The transmission is in limp mode/

can you connect to 01 engine electronics?

I don't know what that means. I have an ELM327 but it says it's not connected to the ECU. I have a Ross-Tech Mini-CAN but it's the wrong one for my car.

ok mini can does not work with touareg. elm has issues too . do you have access to another scan tool for a test.

if you are looking for ross tech hex can will work.

I don't have any other scan tools. I'm looking at trading the Mini-CAN for a HEX V2 as long as the postage doesn't kill the deal.

there is a chinese clone that you can get for a pretty good price

let me get that site for you .

All the guys on Club Touareg warn against using the clones, they say that they can fry the ECU.
But some of those guys are really pedantic. There's one who changes out his tyres when they're only half worn. So, is this clone safe to use? You use it with the VCDS from Ross Tech?
$67 is cheap. I'll get it if you say it's safe to use.
Have you any idea what would have caused the problem in the first place?
If taken the gear selector apart, the magnets are in the right place and it's clean in there with no obstructions.

trans ecu off line

i have used clones just do not update the cable

What would cause the trans ECU to go offline and how do I get it back on?

need to check powers and grounds

Where is it located?

under the drivers seat there should be 2 modules

one is the 4wd module and the other is the trans module.

I'll have a look. Thanks.
My car is RHD, still under the driver's seat? Left side has the battery.

yes correct!!

any new updates?

please do let me know!!

I'm going to take the seat out today and check for any obvious problems.
No need to take the seat out from the back seat you have access
Ok, thanks.
I couldn't get to the TCM without taking the seat out. I had to fix some airbag wires anyway.
I can't see anything obvious, no water damage or burns.

did you unhook the connector and did you see transmission fluid in the connector (very common for this issue)

I did unhook the connector, looking for corrosion, but didn't see any oil. I've heard about that, I didn't know it was common though. A guy on Club Touareg was quoted $14,000 in 2012 to replace the loom and TCM because of oil creeping up into the TCM. In the end technicians replaced some pins in the connectors.

ok since there is no corrosion and oil extensive diagnosis is needed with scan tool and DVOM this will require premium service .

please do let me know

thanks

I'll have to wait 'til the cable gets here so I can get the codes to you.
Ok thanks
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Where does the TCM get it's power from?
Terminal 30 just means unswitched power.

ok pin 1 and 2 are ground

powers are at pins 3 , 27 , 28 with the key on !!

correct 30 is constant power

15 is ignition power

There's no power getting to the TCM, where is it supposed to come from?
Let me get that. Give me a bit
Do you have a diagram of where those pin numbers are? I can't see numbers on the plug or TCM.

here is the connector pinout!!

Thanks. I test with the cable plugged in to the module?

no check it unplugged!!

Aha. Thanks.
Is there a way to test the module itself?

no. if you have powers and grounds then you have module failure!!

Ok, 27&28 are ground (brown wires) 1&2 blue wires no power and 3 haspower.
Can I jump power to 1&2 to see if that does anything?
Where are they supposed to get the power from?

please see email . thanks