VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLX 2.8L 4Motion. I recently changed…

Customer Question
2004 Volkswagen Passat GLX 2.8L...
2004 Volkswagen Passat GLX 2.8L 4Motion.
I recently changed the low beam headlight bulbs in my car, and since doing that my car will only start for 1 to 2 seconds and then it shuts off/dies. I've checked the fuel pump, fuel system relay and fuses and all are ok. I do not have any immobilizer/alarm indicator lights on my dash. No codes present as check with an OBD-II scan tool. I know the tool works as I've used it to help diagnose O2 sensor failures/codes in the past.
My question is, what else could be causing my car to act this way? I've gone as far as removing the bulbs I just replaced, checking to see if I inadvertently disconnected anything and I cannot find anything wrong.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: VW
1/14/2018
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 7 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Welcome, I'm Wolfgang.

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

if you turn the key on is there a yellow light of a key and car shape flashing ?

do you have another key to try ?

please do let me know

thanks

There is no Car/key indicator light flashing on my dash. I've tried both the original flip/fob key and my valet key. They both start the car and then within 1 to 2 seconds the car dies. I've tried pressing the accelerator pedal and the car RPM's will increase, but the car still dies.
That key/car light comes on briefly when you insert the ignition key and turn it to the ON position, then the indicator light turns off.

ok good.

then the next thing you will need a 17mm and a 14mm wrenches . loosen the braided line to the fuel injectors and then crank the engine do you have any fuel pressure out of that braided line?

thanks

Ok. Did as you asked. I broke the line connection loose, and fuel sprayed out. Just to be sure, I even turned the car over a couple times and fuel sprayed everywhere.

ok try this tighten the line up then pull spark plug 1 and 2 are they wet?

I've not pulled the 1 and 2 plugs yet, however, I did try starting the car while lightly spraying starting fluid into the air intake. The car would stay running as long as I sprayed the starting fluid, but would die if I stopped spraying it.
Ok, I'm not able to pull the plugs as the boots seem to "stuck" on the plug, and I'm afraid I'll tear the plug wire apart. I'm doing this outside in the snow haha. I will work on getting the plug boots off of plugs 1 and 2 tomorrow after work and then I'll remove the plugs and check to see if they are wet. We also were unable to locate a place to put a fuel pressure guage inline with the fuel supply from the pump. Is there a port somewhere to hook to or does the ECU get any kind of pressure readings from the fuel system?
I do have a question for you though. Does the immobilizer kill the fuel or spark if activated, and is it possible that the immobilizer could be causing issues even though there are no dash lights indicating that the anti theft is active?I just can't fathom how this car had run flawlessly until I parked it and changed the headlight bulbs.
Unfortunately there is no port to check fuel pressure. It is possible but usually the immo light would flash
Ok, thank you! I just ordered a cable and VAJ-COM software to help diagnose the problem if possible. Again, I'll work on the spark plugs tomorrow after work.
Got it
Plugs were not soaked or super wet, but had some moisture and typical carbon on them.

some moisture will hamper the operation . take a blow gun clean off and use a lighter to make sure on the electrode and porcelain there is no fuel bu heating it up . then squirt little oil in the cylinders and then retry

Ok, while I'm not sure where you're going with this, let me explain what I do know.1.) I don't have a fuel problem.
2.) I have spark.
3.) I have compression.
4.) Fluid levels are fine
5.) The car ran absolutely flawlessly until I changed the headlight bulbs as I've explained.
6.) The car will start everytime, and then shut off EXACTLY at the 1 to 2 seconds mark everytime.
7.) I've removed the back seat and checked the fuel pump resistance with a 1.3 to 1.7 ohm resistance.
8.) I have no generic DTC's, no abnormal dash indicator lights, or anything else out of the ordinary.While I appreciate your assistance, it's getting me no closer to a resolution. I don't understand how it could be anything else but something wrong with the cars security (immobilizer) system or electrical system.

you said the spark plugs had moisture so i have said to clean off and do the procedure above. note moisture like water or fuel etc can cause the spark to short prior getting to the electrode which then spark plug will not fire.

even though you have checked spark maybe with a different plug to verify does not mean still you have fire in the hole.

lets assume this that you say you have fuel and spray and spark which then you have crank sensor signal meaning ecu is on line and sensor is not bad there is only one to 2 things no power to the injectors or timing is off.

did you verify you have 12 volts at pin 1 of each injector with the key on?

Some of these things may be redundant but i'm here and you are there say if the car comes in and you say that you have spark , fuel pressure and compression I rather to be sure and verify once again to know that off the list .

In this site I have caught people saying that was done but going into a different diagnosis path it ends up to something that was the repair but actually they did not check or verify again!!

Thanks for being understanding

Thank you for that explanation.
I will check for voltage at the injectors.Again, I wasn't trying to be rude in my previous reply. I've been working on CNCs, Industrial Automation, Machine Tools and Robots for almost 20 years, so I always try to make sure I've covered my bases before asking for support.

no rudeness just needed an explanation of my madness

Haha, thanks.
It will more then likely be tomorrow when I can check for 12V at the injectors. The car is outside and we are currently in single digit temps, with negative wind chills.

the other thing to check is the coolant temp sensor but you do not have vag com to get that reading.

say if it is real cold and the temp sensor is reading 55deg F . it will not start because of not enough fuel to air ratio!!

keep me updated

I've actually ordered a Vagcom cable and software. Should be here soon.
Will update as soon as I can. Thanks

great to hear !!

my pleasure!!