VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Our 2000 Jetta with 6 cyl- Suddenly won't go over 10 mph! In…

Our 2000 Jetta with...

Our 2000 Jetta with 6 cyl- Suddenly won't go over 10 mph ! In fact- now, not at all. It's not slipping ! Just won't move in any gear. A year ago when it was on a lift- a mechanic said " someone a while back replaced the tranny " - wiring looked screwy ! 61,000 orig miles ( automatic trans )

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Brake switch ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes- if possible- it's our grandaughers car for college actually. A real money pit lately ! You name it, it's new !!

1/14/2018
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

It sounds like it is in a limp mode. Many reasons can cause this, and the only way to check it is with a scan tool.This will check for codes in ALL the modules including data. This information will tell us what is wrong.

Many parts stores loan out equipment like this too.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Ok- so- A limp mode-- Could this be something minor ?
Phone call session started

Try this first prior to the scan tool . See attachment.

Thanks again, for the call.

rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor