VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I have been trying to replace an ignition switch on a 1973…

Customer Question
I have been trying...

I have been trying to replace an ignition switch on a 1973 Super Beetle. When I hooked the new switch to the wiring harness, the starter will not turn over. I have also replaced the starter but no difference. It seems like there is an interruption in the circuit or a blown fuse somewhere but I don't know where to look.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do all the fuses have the correct amperage for the circuits they're in?

I don't know

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?

It all started when the original key sheared off inside the barrel. I ordered a new barrel and key set and a new ignition switch. The key turns on and the things that run off the ignition being on like turn signals work, but when you turn to crank it, there is nothing except maybe a fain click sound

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's about it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: VW
1/14/2018
VW Mechanic: Martin, auto electrical replied 7 months ago
Martin, auto electrical
Hello, Welcome to Just Answer.
The wire for the starter does not go through a fuse. It go directly to the starter. If you say there is a faint click sound. Check the voltage that you get there with a multi meter. It should be battery voltage. If you do not get battery voltage. Then check the wire condition. This wire has a plug under the rear seat. See the it is connected properly. You can test the wire to the starter from there. Connect a positive wire from the battery to the wire the starter should work. If not then check the wire on the states might be on the wrong terminal. There is two small terminals on the solenoid. If all this Check then check the wire going forward. There is another plug in point in the boot behind the dashboard.
This should lead you to the fault should you need more information please do not hesitate to ask.
Greetings,
Martin.
Thanks for the reply, I will try your suggestions and let you know. What I can't get my head around is that the old starter and ignition key worked fine up until the day the key was sheared off in the ignition with the same wires but they do not now.
Hi, perhaps the switch that they installed is faulty. The wires should be fine if it was only the key that broke off.

Did you resolve this problem or do you need more assistance?

Greetings,

Martin.