VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Dealership mechanic is saying I need a manifold repair and…

Dealership mechanic is saying...

Dealership mechanic is saying I need a manifold repair and they say with the manifold repair I have to have an engine decarbonization done is this really necessary

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

Manual with about 75,000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

Volkswagen Beetle with a turbocharged engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am at the dealership with my service engine light on and they're saying the manifold needs to be repaired and with that the engine needs to be de-carb

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/11/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Having the engine de-carbed does not have to be done if money is a concern but it is a good idea if it's not.The process of decarbing the engine is to clean carbon deposits from the engine valves and combustion chamber that normally builds up over time and if its bad engough it will affect engine performance. The labor to do this should not exceed an hour as well.

They're telling me it takes 6 hours to do this

I'm not sure what they're doing for 6 hours but in most cases, an upper intake cleaning (de-carb) is called an induction service and only involves feeding the cleaner into the running engine at an intake vacuum port. What are they trying to do for 6 hours of labor?

What should that cost

An upper intake induction service usually runs $80.00 to $100 depending on the shop's labor rate.

OMG...THIS PLACE WANTS $360!!

Well I think you should pass, if all there doing is an upper intake induction service there pricing is way out of line. ANy good automotive shop in the country can and will do this for the price I mentioned.

Thank you for your help.....greatly appreciated and you helped me to be better informed

Your very welcome and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service at the top right hand side of the page so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician