VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

My 2005 vw beetle turbo doesn't start when the weather is…

Customer Question
My 2005 vw beetle...

My 2005 vw beetle turbo doesn't start when the weather is cold. It cranks fine but acts like it doesn't get fuel. If I put the key in and turn it to the on position and wait for a few minutes it usually starts. This morning it was about 0 outside and it would not start even after I let it sit with the key in the on position for quite awhile. Finally run the battery down. Do you think the fuel pump is getting weak?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

It is Park. Don't know about the wheel lock featue

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything yet. just been getting by doing what I mentioned

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that's it

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: VW
1/1/2018
VW Mechanic: peterpete190, Technician replied 6 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

From what you have described here this does sound like a possible fault with the fuel pump itself.It may be getting weak to where it is not supplying enough fuel volume or pressure to the fuel injection rail when cold.The electronics in the pump can become weak over time causing this issue here with the pump needs replaced.I would have the pump pressure tested to see if the pump is faulty needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete