VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

My daughter's 2.5L VW Golf (2012) does not warm up when it…

Customer Question
My daughter's 2.5L VW...

My daughter's 2.5L VW Golf (2012) does not warm up when it is extremely cold out (-25C). The engine temp stays in the basement. I park it inside my shop for about 1/2 hour and she gets warm air in the cabin, but the engine temp only goes to about 9 o'clock on the temp gauge? Seems like the thermostat is staying in the open position, dealership wants $175 to put on diagnostic? If it's the T-stat, they estimate $600 to change $700+ if the housing needs to be replaced? Coolant level is full.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked the hoses for leaks?

Coolant level is full

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 VW?

2012 2.5L Golf (sportline I think?)

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything yet, I was looking online for how to change and it seems it is a bit of a hassle...but nothing really showing step by step?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: VW
12/30/2017
VW Mechanic: Steve, Automotive Expert replied 6 months ago
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert

hi, how can I help you with this? what was your specific question on this issue?