VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Just replaced all four ignition coils and plugs and it still…

Customer Question
Just replaced all four...

Just replaced all four ignition coils and plugs and it still misfires on three cylinders.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it a steady misfire? Or random?

208000, steady

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

Passat 2002 1.8T

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, replaced all ignition coils and plugs. Ignition cable on order

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: VW
12/24/2017
VW Mechanic: nelson freitas,
 replied 4 months ago
nelson freitas

Hello, and thanks for using JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I have been an Automotive Technician for over 15 years.

is the check engine light on? also are you able to scan for any codes that may be stored in the engines computer?

Check engine light flashes. I had a code meter I can put on.
VW Mechanic: nelson freitas,
 replied 4 months ago

if you could retrieve any codes that would help in finding the problem

VW Mechanic: nelson freitas,
 replied 3 months ago
Hello, do you still require assistance with your problem? Also, can you please rate my services today, Your honest feedback is appreciated.If you dont feel like I deserve a 5 star rating please let me know if there is anything else I can do before ratingNelson
Sorry about that. I have bed sick in bed since the 24th. Haven’t had time to put the code reader in the second time yet. What I do remember is something like ‘Multiple Cylinder Random Misfire’ and ‘Misfire on Cyl 1 - 4 codes’. Is there a way to rate you and still keep this case open?
Not until I am able to get to the car again, hopefully in a couple more days. My wife told me the replacement ignition cable arrived today.
VW Mechanic: nelson freitas,
 replied 3 months ago

Oh sorry to hear that, it sucks being sick over the holidays. That happened to me last year.

Yes you can rate my services and this case remains open until either of us choose to close it.

Hope your feeling better,

Nelson

Here were the errors I was able to get from the meter.
Using Auteltech MaxiDiag MD805
16684 - Active/static - Random/Multiple Cylinder.Misfire Detected-Upper limit Exceeded
16685 - Active/static - Cyl. 1 .Misfire Detected-Upper limit exceeded
16686 - Active/static - Cyl. 2.Misfire Detected-Upper limit exceeded
16687 - Active/static - Cyl. 3.Misfire Detected-Upper limit exceeded
16688 - Active/static - Cyl. 4.Misfire Detected-Upper limit exceeded
VW Mechanic: nelson freitas,
 replied 3 months ago

From what I am able to find, there are a few common problems with these misfires.

The most common being faulty coils, which you have already replaced all 4.

And another is vacuum/air leaks, a common problem is with the pcv system and also cracks in the tube from the intake to the air filter box.

nelson freitas
nelson freitas
nelson freitas