VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

I have 2008 Jetta 2.5 Auto transmission. Car runs with no…

Customer Question
I have 2008 Jetta...

I have 2008 Jetta 2.5 Auto transmission. Car runs with no issues when cold, when it gets hot it jerks between 1st and 2nd and 2nd to 3rd gear. It works fine after 3rd gear with no issues. It also does hard down shift from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st. Car has 93k miles, trans was never serviced, I changed the oil and filter and also changed the valve body with a used one, the problem is identical to what I had it before. Now I don't know if the issue is with something else or with a valve body. As the valve boy I replaced it with was used, don't know if it was a working unit or had the same issues as mine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?

Coolant is fine and its not leaking

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?

See above

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: VW
12/21/2017
VW Mechanic: Martin, auto electrical replied 2 months ago
Martin, auto electrical

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer.

The valve body might very well be the problem. As the valve body operate in very hot oil. The oil can easily cause damage to the windings inside the solenoid. It also the oil becomes tacky over time and this cause the plunger to operate hard.

So yes I would check the valve body out first.

Greetings,

Martin.

As mentioned, I had the valve body replaced complete with the solenoids with a used one, however the problem is exact same as before, I'm just not too sure the same problem can be duplicated with both valve bodies with no change at all.
VW Mechanic: vwtech0405, VW Technician replied 2 months ago
vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician

Good afternoon i can help you out, do you know if you have any trouble codes stored in the trans control module ?

17114 which is for incorrect gear ratio

Ok incorrect gear ratio is usually a internal gear issue where you either have a worn out synchro or gear inside the transmission , a valve body will not take care of this issue or trouble code . You will need open up the transmission and see what kind of damage you have inside you will need to split the case and see which components need to be rebuild . Usually when you have a faulty valve body in this transmission it will double shift between 1 and 2nd not shift hard like you have stated . I hope this helps please dont forget to provide feedback for the help provided tonight thank you

The shifts I'm trying to describe to you does feel like it's double shifting.

You stated it jerks a valve body double shift is usually only between 1st to 2nd gear not the other gears you listed

If it's within within the transmission as you're stating it should happen at all times and not when it gets hot, right? It runs fine without issues when it's cold. It doesn't happen on all gears, only from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.

I understand where your coming from but transmission gear can cause issues at different temps depending on what level the trans fluid is at in a certain temperature .

vwtech0405
vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician