VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Several dashboard lights have come on suddenly. I noticed a…

Customer Question
Several dashboard lights have...

Several dashboard lights have come on suddenly. I noticed a "clicking sound coming from the rear brakes on Saturday when I applied or released the brakes. But it was intermittant and the brakes seemed to work fine. This morning, I started it and the ABS light, the traction control light and one other light came one.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

The vehicle was braking fine. I pushed the traction control button, and it had no effect on the light. I stopped to get gas and when I restarted the car, the lights were off.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

They stayed off the whole way to work and the whole way back home. It is a 2009 Routan

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Routan yourself? What have you tried so far?

My wife just started the van to go to a dr appointment and the lights are back.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

So far I have tried nothing

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: VW
12/18/2017
VW Mechanic: peterpete190, Technician replied 8 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The abs and traction control light coming on indicate a fault is detected with one of the anti-lock brake components.This can affect braking as well as cause anti-lock brake noises like the clicking noise that was heard intermittently.

What needs to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set to this issue here.This is done with a fully compatible scan tool that will plug in and can read all computers especially the anti-lock brake computer to see what codes are set.Once the codes are read out they can then be diagnosed to then locate and repair this fault.This has to be done though as there are several components that will cause this fault here from failing wheel speed sensors to the anti-lock brake ECU or hydraulic unit as well as other sensors and even a possible wiring fault.

Most shops or a dealer can read out and diagnose the codes as well as repair the fault for a fee.A local parts store can usually read out fault codes at no charge to you.Although they won't be able to diagnose and repair it they can give you an idea of what is at fault needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete