VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

My 98 vw cabrio is sluggish after tune up i put new spark…

Customer Question
My 98 vw cabrio...

My 98 vw cabrio is sluggish after tune up i put new spark plugs with wires, change the oil, distributor cap, and rotor . Now instead running better its really sluggish on take off ,it was better i did the tune up, I'm wondering if i didn't line up the rotor or put in wrong wires in plugs or my timing might be off

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? When did you last change the plugs?

Last wek and it over 100,ooo miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cabrio yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes myself changed plugs wires did cap rotor

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

What could be the it is sluggish after i did tuneup

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: VW
12/16/2017
VW Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 5 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you,I will try to help you with this issue

it seemed you have the distributor off or not align it ,did you mark it or installed 180 off ?

i don't know how to do that can you please tell me
how do i 180 off it
hello

hi, the reply here are not as fast as texting ,it depends on internet traffic, so i m still with you

do you have timing light

"All of your VWs have marks on the rotating parts to denote 0° TDC. The cam has a dot that lines up with the valve

cover. The flywheel has a notch that lines up with the center of the hole on top of the bell housing. The distributor has a

slash that lines up with the rotor. Line all of these up and your car is at 0. No advance. No retard.

In a pinch, I've put the car in 5th gear (with the car off!) loosened the distributor and pulled the car forward until the

advance mark on the flywheel appeared in the little timing hole. I then turned the distributor until the hash ***** *****ned up

with the rotor and tightened her down. If your flywheel notch is at 3° or 5° or whatever, now your distributor is at 3° or

5°. It's probably good for keeps or at least until you can get your hands on a timing light

look at this pdf file , for several methods to do it ,depending on tools you have

http://www.cabby-info.com/Files/AdjustingTheTiming.pdf

i do have a timing light and i now tried it and yes it seems to jup from left to right when i put the light in the holewhat can i do

start over , pull plug one , and insert a screw driver in the plug hole #1 cylinder and turn engine until screw driver reaches tdc and then pull distributor out and reinstall correctly

how do i turn the engine?

at the crankshaft bolt

could it be that i installed the wires wrong like 1, 4, 2, 3 instead of 2,3,4,1 on the distributor cap?

it will misfire if you had wires wrong bit it want be off timing ,you have to check marks to confirm , you are there not me

vwnewton
vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced