VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I have a 1999 Passat that I was told the ecm was bad. I have…

Customer Question
I have a 1999 Passat...
I have a 1999 Passat that I was told the ecm was bad. I have another ecm with the same part number. Can I just install it or do I need to program it? I do have a vag cable and software
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: VW
12/15/2017
VW Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 5 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

you will need to program / code up the replacement ECU with the immobilizer information for the car

and to do this you will need the pin code for the old and new ECU's

sorry to say that 90% of the time this information is only available to the dealer network and jealously guarded

this blog post details the process:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Immobilizer_III_ECU_Swapping

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.

If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies

Thanks Matt

Matt, Engineer