VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Here is my problem: sorry i will copy paste what i posted on…

Customer Question
Hi Pearl, here is...

Hi Pearl, here is my problem: sorry i will copy paste what i posted on a forum if that's okay, you must have all the informations needed

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

It is a MK5 GTI 2007 DSG FSI engine

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

DSG and 90K km so about 50K miles it is european specs

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your GTI yourself? What have you tried so far?

Hi everybody,First of all, let me present myself as I am new on this forum: my name is ***** ***** from Saint Martin in the Caribbean, and I own a 2007 Golf mk5 GTI DSG, european spec.Before I even post here, I have made plenty of research on the forum and on the web and made some tests, so thanks for reading me as I think I need to tell you everything in detail so you can advise me:Also, so you know, with the hurricane Irma which destroyed 95% of the island, i cannot bring the car to any garage to get it checked.I had recently a problem with my shifter, I couldn't move it out of park, and as soon as i was starting the engine, then I couldn't remove the key out of the ignition, could only do it if i disconnect the battery.I decided to remove the shifter, and to be able to do that, i removed the driver seat, some plastics around etc...Please note that the car has always started perfectly, the battery is good, but after having removed these part in order to remove the shifter, the car doesn't start anymore. I put the shifter back and all parts back and still same problem! When i turn the key, there is not lights in the dashboard, nothing, like if there is not current. But windows work, radio work etc... the boot doesnt open.Here is what i have checked so far:Battery okAll fuses ok, but in the fuse box that is located in the engine bay, I can't find no tension on fuses 6, 9, 10, 11, 12 (even with the key on). I have also replaced the relays in this fuse box, the 2 relays (100) but not the 167 that is located in between this fuses --> do you think that relay provides the alimentation to theses fuses?Also, i have changed the fuse B1 (460) under the dashboard, but it didn't change anything --> So i have removed the Relay B1 and checked if there is tension coming to it and there is none! If i remove the relay B9 and i check, there is tension.So i believe there must be a problem with wiring, or something else linked to the relay in position B1 but I am lost, I don't know what should i check next. What i would like to know is should there be some tension continuously arriving to relay B1? or only when key is on? If I read well the WD it seems that the j519 is supplying power to the relay j681 in position B1 problem would come from there?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so thanks

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: VW
12/13/2017
VW Mechanic: peterpete190, Technician replied 4 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

This may be due to a fault with the electronic ignition switch itself.If the ignition switch has an internal fault with one or more of its terminals not sending power or signals to actuate power this can cause these issues here.If you have not had this switch tested at all these needs done to see if this switch needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Hi Pete, thanks for your help, I believe that diagnosing a car without touching it is hard, especially electrical issues.
The exact model of my car is a Golf GTI V with a FSI engine year 2007, and DSG, I have a VIN number maybe you could have a look at wiring diagrams for me? VIN: WVWFV71K47W129094The thing that i find weird is that the car was starting absolutely perfect everyday, one day we decide to take off the driver seats and a few components to take off the faulty shifter and straight after the same day it doesnt start any more. Nothing on the dash when i turn the key, no light, no noise, but still the windows and radio works for exemple. Boot stays locked as well.What i would like to find out it what gives power to the fuses 6, 9, 10, 11, 12 (located in the fuse box in the engine bay) as there is no power now when i check with a multimeter, and what gives power to j681 located under the dash (position B1). For the j681 it seems to come from j519 but i am not sure of the WD i have, and i am not so good with electricity.I have no way to check the ignition switch right now, and i feel curious that it would just be faulty after i removed some stuff i maybe touched something burned a relay that i don't know about?
Hi Pete, any update on this? Thanks a lot
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 4 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Pleaseunderstand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problemwith the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computerdata/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; wejust diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch thevehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please bepatient and permit me to do what I do best.I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” inreturn. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If thereis any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so Ican go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help youthrough it.Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. do you have vag com ? if so can do you do a gateway installation list scan to see what is operating? post log here thanks
Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician