VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Fault code for oil pressure switch p164b. No check engine…

Customer Question
Fault code for oil...

Fault code for oil pressure switch p164b

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is your oil pump? Has the check engine light come on?

No check engine light

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

2009 Audi A4 caeb engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your A4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Well i didn’t have this code. Last week cylinder 1 injector stuck open. Fuel ened up in my oil pan. I replaced all 4 injectors and changed the oil and filter. Started car up and drove until engine was at temp spec of 80c

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

As soon as i hit 4K car went into limp mode and threw this code

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: VW
12/12/2017
VW Mechanic: peterpete190, Technician replied 7 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Was the oil pressure switch replaced at all yet?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Has not been replaced. I didn’t have this issue last week. Injectors failed. Got stuck open. Engine oil smelled like fuel. Reaked of fuel.Replaced injectors and changed oil and filter.Car oil still smells like fuel even after changing it last night.

O.k., the fuel thins out the oil and the fuel also eats through some components like diaphrams in the oil pressure switch.I suspect the fuel damaged the oil pressure switch with the switch needs replaced.I have run into this several times before where the fuel damaged the switch and the switch had to be replaced.This was the most common cause.

The loss of oil pressure signal from this switch can cause the computer to put the vehicle into a fail-safe mode as well.

You can obtain a new switch from a dealer or local parts store in most cases.You will need to replace it then clear the codes for it to then operate properly again.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete