VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Its the first time Ive tried to start my 82 van in the cold.

Customer Question
Its the first time...

Its the first time Ive tried to start my 82 van in the cold. I just towed it from seattle to Boise, it started in Seattle but wont turn over now. New battery and ignition start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

New connections

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '82 VW?

1.4 liter

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Ive done a couple things myself but usually take it to a professional on the hard parts.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just shipped it from Hawaii and used it for two weeks prior to shipping. I then started the van while in Seattle to put it on tow trailer. The red light on the dash is on but wont turn over as if there is a bad connect somewhere.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: VW
12/10/2017
VW Mechanic: Martin, auto electrical replied 7 months ago
Martin, auto electrical

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer.

Its very hard to say sitting in front of my lap top to say what your problem is as this is not a normal situation. The might be a wire off somewhere. Places to look would be the starter motor, Ignition switch. The wire on the solenoid at the starter might be the first one to check. You can inspect it feeling if its on tight or not. If its on solidly then you can use a test light and see if it lights up when activating the starter from the ignition switch. If the is good the the fault might be the stater itself. You can try give it a bang with a plastic hammer. That sometimes gets it going. The brushes might just not be making good contact or are nearly worn out.

If you get no lighting on the test light when actevating the starter from the ignition switch then the wire might be unpluged near the ignition switch there is a multi plug with the starter wire in it.

If all this checks out let me know and we can take it from there.

Greetings,

Martin.