VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I have a 1995 VW European (camper). The drivers side tail…

Customer Question
I have a 1995...

I have a 1995 VW European (camper). The drivers side tail light does not work. I tried replacing the bulb, but still nothing...

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?

Well, the bulb I tried to replace it with was brand new, but I suppose it could still be bad ..? How do I check the connection?? I was thinking that it might be corrosion in the socket where the bulb goes..

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '95 VW?

Eurovan (camper). It is rather difficult to get back to it because of the camper components..

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Eurovan yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I'm trying to do it myself because the VW dealer would charge and arm and a leg!

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

All I have done is tried to replace the bulb..

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: VW
12/10/2017
VW Mechanic: Martin, auto electrical replied 4 months ago
Martin, auto electrical

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer.

if the bulb is good and there is 12v on the contact plate of the globe holder. Then the fault could be either ground or corrosion. Corrosion can be inside the globe holder and the contact plate itself. I always use a find sand paper to clean both.

This should rectify the problem if you need more information please do not hesitate to ask.

Greetings,

Martin.

Since this is a camper it is very difficult to get to globe holder because of cabinetry/electrical. Do you have any suggestions on how to best get to it? It doesn’t look as if I can get to it from the outside. Or am I wrong? It looks to me love me I’ll have to remove the cabinet...

That's hard for me to say. I need to see that. The taillight should have two 6mm bolts holding it in place from the rear or some unscrew from the front screws. Depending on the type you have.

I see the most common one one just undo the bolts from the lens side and pull the hole assembly out. On the rear side of the tail light there is a metal plate that unclip from the lamp. The plate serves as the globe holder.

Greetings,

Martin.

Thous will have bolts on the rear side. You will have to do it from the rear and remove some panels on the inside. I see there is a little door how far does that go towards the light?

Martin.

The little door hides the electrical panel for the camper. When replacing the bulb you have to remove the panel so that you can reach in with your right hand and blindly manipulate the bulbs with one hand. I was hoping you would know a better way of getting in there. Can you access a Bentley manual for this vehicle?

I have just done some reading. No I cannot have to buy one. There is three bolts the one must undo with a 8mm socket/spanner. Perhaps if you fiddle in there with your hand you will be able to undo them.

Martin.

Are you referring to bolts that hold the lense in place?

No the hole assembly, its all a unit as I see it.

then will I be able to remove it from the outside?
Are you sure 8mm? I will have to go out and get one...

Yes the light holder and lens comes out after you remove the bolts. Yes that what the manual say.

Ok. I’ll try that. Might be a while before I can get back with you on it...

All good, you should be able to do it....good luck

Martin, auto electrical