VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

My DSG in my Golf MK7 has a clunky downshift, not smooth and…

Customer Question
My DSG in my...

My DSG in my Golf MK7 has a clunky downshift, not smooth and worsens if the outside temperature is warm vs cold

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you checked the coolant level?

How would the coolant affect the DSG transmission?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

2013 MK7

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Im not I want to know where to start

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not right now.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: VW
12/8/2017
VW Mechanic: Martin, auto electrical replied 7 months ago
Martin, auto electrical

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer.

The Dsg transmission is known for clunky up/down shift problems.

Most the time it's the fluid that has become contaminated with metal filings from the gears and tacky from the heat. There is also a oil filter inside the transmission. This filter can also become clogged from the iron filings. Also the solenoids get sticky from the oil that become tacky. Can also cause the windings to get damage as the solenoids are having a hard time to select the gears. This will not cause a fault code as everything is working as it should it's just harsh or slow.

What one can do to rectify the problem is to do a service with new transmission fluid and a filter. Also clean all the solenoids and make sure that they operate freely and that the windings are not damaged. The OHM readings should be 4.6 OHMs for the pressure control solenoid and torque converter solenoid. The gear selector solenoids 62-65 OHMs.

All this should rectify the problem but you can have more problems and it will then need you to strip the entire transmission.

Greetings,

Martin.

It is a 7-speed dry clutch DSG which is no maintenance and does not require fluid changes.

That is what the factory say but believe they do need a service.

Greetings,

Martin.