VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

2013 jetta 2.5 alternator wont charge

Customer Question
2013 jetta 2.5 alternator wont charge
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: VW
12/5/2017
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 7 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Hello I’m Wolfgang. I do need a vin to get the factory info to assist.
One question !! Did you jump the battery or change the battery recently?
I've replaced the alternator 3 times, the last one will charge a little then go out every time I start the car, the fuse on front of the fuse box is good.Vin is 3VWPP7AJXDM6629596
The owner of the car was on a trip and changed the battery twice during the trip home before he brought it to my shop
Ok so is the battery light on then or not?
the battery light is on
Ok what is the voltage right back of the alternator while running?
You mean the charging wire that runs through the fuse? If so its around 11.5 to 11.8, battery voltageOne of the small wires has 7 volts and the other has 2.5, don't recall off the top of my head which one was the blue one. Ill check that again tomorrow
Ok do this you see where the alternator wire goes to the fuse box from that nut to the nut on top through measure the resistance please
0.2 ohm
I have a different style of fuse block but I'm trying to upload the pictures but it says they are too large give me a few minutes to try and figure something out

ok

Here's the readings for all the wires
img20171205_211726.jpgimg2017...jpgimg20171205_211826.jpgimg2017...jpgimg20171205_211906.jpgimg2017...jpgimg20171205_211927.jpgimg2017...jpg
Any ideas?
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 7 months ago
kyle swart

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for using just answer. Out of curiosity, are you using o.e or aftermarket alternators? who is the supplier? also, I have seen wiring damage near the 4 pin connector on the drivers side near the frame underneath, the one that has the control wires for the alternator and for the a/c compressor.

Kyle S.
A.S.E. certified master auto technician
licensed smog technician, test and repair, L-1 advanced engine performance certified
Certified Volkswagen technician, 2003,2004,2013,2014,2015
Volkswagen and Audi independent 12 years

The first two were duralast, the last one is Bosch (the one that's on it now) the 4 pin plug looks to be fine as current will pass through it, we are getting 7 volts on one wire and 2 on the other. Both wires are black so I followed them over to that 4 pin plug and found the blue wire. Continuity checks out fine as well
Bosch alt came from Volkswagen dealer in harrisonburg VA don't recall the name
Solid blue wire going to the alt is 7.5v exactly with key on. Battery voltage is 11.9
Sorry for the mass comments, trying to add everything I can remember. the battery light on the dash will come on and flash then go off and then come back on and flash again and then stay on until key is recycled then it will do the same thing.We've had the car here for 6 weeks and can't figure it out
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 7 months ago
I would much rather see 12 volts with the key on, engine off, at the blue wire (field wire). Has the battery been load tested?
It drops to 11.3 on a load test.We tried applying 12v to the blue wire and I think it ruined the regulator in the last alternator, at the risk of frying this Bosch I haven't done it with this one
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 7 months ago

12v shouldn't ruin the regulator, but i hear ya. 3 alternators, you would think one of them would have worked. I would try another battery if you have one. I have had batteries that pass a load test but have sulfated and wont deliver consistant voltage. If you put a voltmeter on the battery and start the car, will it start to charge at all? thanks.

VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 7 months ago

sorry i forgot the owner put 2 batteries in it. Im going to do a little more research on my end and get back with you tommorow, thanks.

It will drop to 11.3 and then up to consistent 11.8 no fluctuations, the battery light doesn't flash anymore it will be off for a few seconds (30 or 40) then come on solid, the alternator doesn't charge in those 30 to 40 seconds either.Thanks
Were you able to find anything?
Hello?
VW Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 7 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

please standby

I have read everything that has been tested and talked about., you ECM is what controls the alternators regulator ...

ECM, Electronics control module (J519 I believe) or the engine control module?Thanks

yes sir. this should have been one of the first things mentioned

Also I did end up applying 12V to the wire again, and the alternator was still not charging. Would a faulty ECM cause that to happen?

absolutley

Ok I will try and get a price on one tomorrow, can't imagine its going to be cheap. The all data info doesn't show a location in the vehicle for it, but it shows that it has the 3 52 pin plugs on it, do you know where its located? The car is a jetta sportwagen if it makes a difference

standby for that info

Ok thank you. Also before I take it out the track diagram shows it going to an "interior socket" is that a cigarette lighter or what would that be? Just want to test voltage there as well to verify. Not much familiar with the terminology they useThanks

believe its called service oultet aka cigarette lighter, phone chargeretc....

Another question, the second wire coming from the alternator do you know what that wire is for? Id like to try to bypass the ECM just for testing purposes before I order the part, we tried applying 12v to the wire with it disconnected from the ECM as well as with it connected and it wasn't charging both ways

the black/blu?

Sorry for the hassle, I'm not fond of parts cannons haha. Yes I believe its blue with a black tracer

the blu/blk goes to the ecu. there's no way to bypass that. but you can do a continuity test to make sure the wire is good.

It has 2.6 volts on it so the continuity will check out, just wanted to know what its purpose was and if that might be why the alt won't charge with 12v applied to it with the solid blue wire disconnected from the ecm

a damaged wire or almost severed wire can still have some voltage on it

Ok I will check it anyways, do you happen to know what that wire is supposed to read on it, 12v as well?

standby

that voltage will vary depending on engine demands.

but it should control the regulator up to 14.4 vdc

Ok thanks, ***** ***** what I can do tomorrow and let you know the resultsThanks again

you're welcome

Couldnt get anything today so will try Monday.

ok my friend

hows it going?

The Bosch alternator failed as well, we are going to get another one and try applying 12V to the blue/black without the 4 pin plug plugged in. My guess at this point is the ECM is frying the voltage regulators
A little over $800 for the ecm its worth one last attempt before buying that the alternator are under warranty anyways

you can get an ECM off eBay for 1/4 of that price.

Is there any way to test them? Would hate to buy one that's faulty and have to go through that whole ordeal, I will get with the cars owner tomorrow and see what he would prefer. As soon as this is charging by itself ill give u a 5* and a tip.

you can get them preprogrammed. eBay guarantees the transaction. if it is faulty you get your money back.

34;C" on that diagram is the alternator, U11 is the "interior socket" that I mentioned earlier
also alldata is showing the blue wire being the exciter and the motologic is showing the blue/black, hopefully you can understand my confusion

ok, please give me a few to figure this out. thanks

Ok sounds good, also the battery light on the dash is not on anymore but the alt still isn't charging.I assume that light is ran by the ecm?

sorry for the delay. trying to eat dinner answer customers, take the dog for a walk and talk to grandkids.

I'm going to open this up to the others so that you don't have to wait. please don't reply or it will throw the question back to me.